1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When does electric equal gas?

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Marine Ray, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I recently put this together. Basicially every 8 cents/kWh equals $1/gallon (and vice versa). Pls check my math.

When does Electric = Gas _ (1).jpg

BiomedO1 likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks reasonable to me. we've been at 24 cents for quite awhile, and i've always figured around 3 bucks.

3. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thx. Wanted to make sure I wasn't totally off my rocker :)

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sure you'll get a lot of convoluted replies saying it depends on your miles/kw and mpg, but in the end, just like the epa, you have to settle for some standard.

Marine Ray likes this.
  5. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Your math is solid; but I would round down or use $0.076 instead - everyone has a calculator on their phones. This would skew the $$ in our favor; to compensate for winter driving and use of AC to cool traction battery charging in the summer - If you select that option. Think of it as cushion/margin of safety. I'd rather spend a few extra pennies on electricity, than waste extra dollars in gasoline.

Marine Ray likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, using EPA numbers, they are correct. But many get better than 25 miles EV miles and more than 54mpg in best seasons. On the other hand, during colder months, I get less than 20 EV miles and 40 mpg. And as the car gets older, battery degradation will affect the EV range and traction battery capacity.

I usually compare 6.5kWh (full charge) x $/kWh (rate of electricity) x2 and gas price $/gal. This is because in most conditions, the full EV range x2 is equal to the miles per gallon number.

For example, for EPA number 25 EV range x 2 = ~50 mpg​

#6 Salamander_King, Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    Marine Ray likes this.
  7. Ovation

Ovation Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    I pay 8 cents CDN/kWh and over 5 dollars CDN a gallon (currently fluctuating between 7.50 and 8.50 dollars a gallon), so my answer is never (I’ll never see anything over 15 cents as long as I live here).

Louis19 likes this.
  8. PianoBench

PianoBench Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would use this calculator. It allows you to input many variables. Monthly, yearly, 10 year costs. And has easy comparison for you to see how your vehicle does against the competition.

There is also an option to see how much city driving you do during your commute.

Save Money (fueleconomy.gov)

9. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Quick answer is NEVER ,to be attractive to use gas, , the price must be lower, Here is some comparaison: when I charge at home, gas price has to be below $1.16 USD/Gallon , when I charge on a public charger, gas price has to be below $3.79USD/Gallon ...actual price of gas is $5.56USD/Gallon . Prices are converted from Litre to Us gallon and $CDN to $USD, electricity here is approx $0.07USD / KW

Ovation likes this.