1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When it comes I'll renegotiate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by aljorma, Oct 6, 2008.

1. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    go for a test drive - make sure they have one you want on the lot. write a check for $750 under MSRP. Make it out to the dealer. make sure they see the check. tell them they give you a car today, you give them that check, and thats your out the door offer, including tax, title, license, registration, etc, etc.

3 months ago a local dealer had zero inventory on their web site. at the moment they show 17 prius (prii?).

given the stock market crash, they'll be hard pressed to turn down cash.

2. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My feeling is that now is the time to buy a new or used Prius. Demand is decreasing due to many factors (lower gas prices, stock market plunge, innability of some to qualify for loans). Dealers are absolutely in bad shape now. They need cash to continue operations. Below MSRP is easy to obtain now as long as you have pre-financed at your bank or credit union.

If you follow used and salvage Prius sales on Ebay things have changed dramatically. 3 months ago there were usually only 50 Prius listed and nearly all sold at very high prices. Today there are nearly 200 used, new, and salvage Prius for sales. If you search the completed auctions probably 10% of these vehicles are selling. The reason... price is too high. The bubble has burst.

It is a good time to buy, if you can afford it.

3. Erin Rothchild-Realtor

Erin Rothchild-Realtor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    As of a about two weeks ago, the Houston market did not have Prius sitting on their lots...the few that were around were $1k-$3500 above MSRP...maybe the economic changes will help availability.

There is a post I read on here somewhere from a person in Japan who stated that there was possibly going to be a limited amount of 09 Prius manufactured..he thought possibly six months, and after that, the Prius that arrived would be the 2010 edition,which is going to be a new "generation" from what I understand.

It will be interesting to see what prices do then on the current generation of Prius...hoping they hold their value well..it all remains to be seen. Either way...getting the great mileage .... I am very happy with my Prius...

As far as renegotiations go, your present vehicle depreciates every month you own it, in most cases. The dealerships have a "book" they go by, and each month, your vehicle is worth a little less from what I understand. Sometimes you just need to cut your losses and start over.... I took a big hit on an 07 Tundra Crew Max with all the goodies on it.

What I was spending in gas was outweighing any of the benefits of the truck itself. Although, if anyone wants a great truck..these are the ones to have..the braking system and the engine power are teriffic...they literally stop on a dime.

You will not regret being a Prius owner and driver.... Be sure to read the Newbie Forum, it is full of great information and threads ( messages ).

My experience is that there are a ton of great people on Prius Chat that will help you with any questions you may come up with....

Best Wishes, and Keep Us Posted!