1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When it's hot outside, the stereo display flickers and all cds are ejected

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sugarfreejones, Mar 22, 2013.

1. sugarfreejones

sugarfreejones 2010 Prius 3 Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I live in Austin, Texas and have a 201o Prius with the stock stereo (no nav system). When it's hot outside (100deg+ F) and I get into the car, often the stereo display will flash and the unit is inoperable. Then, all the CDs are ejected. After I turn on the AC and the interior cools down, I can press the power button on the stereo and it comes back to life.

Here's a video on youtube I made showing what this looks like.

Anyone else experience this? Should I take it in while it's still under warranty? The stereo always comes back to life, but I'm worried one day it won't.

2. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    At least yours ejected! I've had the opposite: they wouldn't eject, the car was in warrenty and the dealer accused us of using CDs with labels and wanted AT LEAST $450 to get the CDs out. (I later found on my own that simply removing the power to the CD unit would reset the unit and allow the "stuck" CDs to eject).

The Gen III CD systems apparently have a temperature problem. Our 2011 User Manual warns against playing CDs when it is hot (convenient warranty out for a poor design).

3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    FWIW, I have one of those radio units listed in the "For Sale" section of PriusChat. Just in case you want to replace the thing.