1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When Shopping Used, Definitely Look at Toyota Owners Site

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ElectricSpike, Jan 10, 2016.

1. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is for those new to used Prius shopping (like me) - I tend to look as carefully as I can online before going to look at a car - my husband thinks a little too carefully. I've been using the Toyota Owners site, signing up a car "as mine" just so I can take a peek at its service. This morning I was finalizing a list of a few cars to see, one was a car at a great price which is about an hour drive from us at a small independent dealer - the car has great records - oil on time, checkups, etc. However, when I clicked on one of the last record;

"INSPECT + REPORT, MULTI-POINT INSP" - this was part of that page:

"...ALSO, THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS NOT ON BUT WE FOUND CODES IN HISTORY: P3000, ~|~NOTHING DONE AT THIS TIME; INFORMED CUSTOMER OF WHAT IS RECOMMENDED FOR VEHICLE" -

When I searched that code, P3000, all sorts of warnings came up regarding a Prius needing a new hybrid battery.

Since it is a great price, and lower miles, a new hybrid battery would be replaced under the Toyota warranty for the battery. HOWEVER, there are other little issues with the history of the car on Toyota's site - at least three times the remote start didn't work, it would also need four new tires and wheel covers - filters are all dirty - (this is all from the Toyota site.) We are staying away. I am more apt to go shopping for a Prius near RI, though, because I feel as if the report written by the Toyota dealer there was thorough - I'd trust them (Bristol) to do a good job at a pre-purchase inspection.

While a pre-purchase inspection will be a must for any car, reading the info on the Toyota Site saved us many hours and some $ (we would have paid to have the car inspected if we had liked it.)

bisco and Kramah313 like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done, good advice, thanks!(y)

ElectricSpike likes this.
  3. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How many miles?

Remember .... service is where dealers make money. I have had many items recommended that were not required or needed. I go to two different dealers depending on my location -- one is much more aggressive. At 15k the one dealer always recommends a new air filter -- it's a 30k change interval. They also recommend the famous injector cleaning.

You would also be surprised at how many intermittent codes get stored.

The P3000 code can be from running out of gasoline or leaving the car in N with the systems on -- it's just an abnormal HV situation. These codes only matter when they persist and the warning light comes on.

ElectricSpike likes this.
  4. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Personally, I have never seen a justifiable reason to put "trust" and "dealer" in the same paragraph.

Steve

farmecologist and ElectricSpike like this.