1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When should electric engine power up?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Dan Schatz, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Dan Schatz

Dan Schatz New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed recently that when my Prius is on flat ground or slight decline, if I take my foot of the brake, the electric engine turns on even if I'm not pushing down on accelerator.
    Is this normal? Should the electric engine be powering the car's 'coasting'?

2. Wimble

Wimble Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you have accessories on like heating or a/c?
    Was the battery low at the time after a period of coasting prior to this?
    Is the pope catholic?

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Motor/Generator2 does generate electricity wile coasting to simulate engine braking that most drivers would be used to from any other car.

4. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe this was an intentional part of the design, to simulate what happens in a regular car when you take your foot off the brake.

5. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Edit: nevermind, I'm describing below what happens at speed... Obviously any automatic car will creep forward when releasing the brake, so why should this one be different...

No. In mine the difference between powering the car, coasting or generating electricity is very, very fine. Just 2-3mm of pedal movement (1/10th of an inch). If somehow the pedal is hampered/obstructed, I could imagine it malfunctioning in the way you describe. Have you tried pulling the pedal towards you with your toes when this happens?

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Dan, by "electric engine turns on" I take it you mean that you see the yellow arrows showing power going from the battery to the wheels.

No this isn't normal. You would normally green arrows going in the other direction to indicate that it's regenerating.

7. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Uart, that was my first response too, but I think the OP is speaking from standstill. And then mine will also creep forward when I take my foot of the brake. As any car with automatic gearbox I ever drove will do.

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok I see what you mean, the opening post was definitely a bit vague.

9. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the traction battery must have been at 40% already and the OP left it in D. So with the demand to move forward even without touching the accelerator, the car had to power up the engine and recharge at the same time.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only question remaining is: is the electric engine the electric motor or the gas engine?

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes it's very unclear what OP is asking. When he said " Should the electric engine be powering the car's coasting" I assumed he was coasting rather than at standstill. But now I'm not even sure about that. :confused:

12. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Calling OP, calling OP to the OR...

:ROFLMAO:

He's out coasting with his Prius while were racking our brain what he may have ment...

13. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, but also that depends on battery level. With all green bars those three states spread out with peddle movement quite a bit, and get much easier to find. They are compressed as the battery goes down, and much more touchy to select. At two bars, I find coasting is all but unavailable. How often do you see all green bars in the Netherlands? I'm guessing it is quite flat.

I try to coast as often as I can, as that is the efficient way to give and take inertia.

14. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All green is rare, but it happens.
    My typical drive home: highwayspeed of 65mph then coast (if traffic allows) to two junctions (hard left, then hard right) which I take at 25+mph (again, when traffic allows). Then I drive down a dyke :ROFLMAO: while coasting and the speed picks up to 35, after which I am greeted by a STOP sign which I stricktly obey (since getting a ticket of $100...). At this time, I always have 7 bars and on very rare occasions 8.

I'll try if my pedal sensitivity changes with battery status, I hadn't noticed and am therefor not convinced it does.
    I often have a hard time finding the free coasting-zone-pedal-position (no arrows) during the above mentioned 65-25mph glide.