1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When should I clean the EGR valve?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MPGHokage, Nov 3, 2019.

1. MPGHokage

MPGHokage Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I drive a 2014 Prius with 70,000 Miles on it, and i'm curious at what mileage would it be best to clean the EGR valve?

Thanks!

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The NutsAboutBolts videos include one about cleaning the EGR pipe. This is very easy to do. It’s the pipe between the EGR valve and the intake manifold.

Try this procedure and take a look inside the pipe. Inspect the deposits — light gray, or black and sooty? If there are sooty black deposits or a lot of crud, it’s a good sign that you should clean the EGR cooler.

The related procedure is to replace the PCV and possibly install an oil catch can. The OCC can prevent the EGR problem from getting worse. At 70,000 miles, you might only need to replace the PCV, install an OCC, and that’s it.

mikey_t likes this.
  3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I would clean it now, mine was clogged at 80k

m.wynn, mikey_t and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    PCV valve is more'n likely fine, but it's cheap to replace, and right there if you have the intake manifold off. But yeah put an OCC on it ASAP (think I used my acronym limit for today...).

FWIW, I cleaned my EGR at 70k km's, and the intake manifold (it has EGR passageways), don't regret it.

Tim Jones likes this.
  5. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with the others that you should go ahead and take care of it now. The EGR circuit is the EGR cooler, valve, pipe, and intake manifold, make sure to clean all of those out. And if you've never done so, might be a good time to run Techron or BG 44K through a tank of gas to clean your fuel system and injectors.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  6. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Now........................................................................

Mendel Leisk likes this.