1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When should I take remove the grille blockers?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BoltonJoe, Apr 7, 2008.

1. BoltonJoe

BoltonJoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi All:

Here's a really dumb question: I've been driving around with my grilles blocked, and it has helped my gas mileage and kept me warm.

But now the weather is almost warming up.

At what point should I remove those pieces of pipe insulation?

Should I start by taking a few out and remove more as it warms up?

BTW, it's been in the mid-40s (Far.) lately, so I have not removed the insulation yet. But some time soon, we should get warm weather.

Thanks,

--Joe

2. Clubford00

Clubford00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mid 40's your still fine. It has been 60 here the last couple days and i have the bottom still blocked and 1 taken out of the top (it blew off on the highway the other day) what i am going to do is remove one from the bottom and put it in the top. Do you have a scangauge? when my water temp is cosistently at or above 200 i start removing the blocking 1 by 1 starting at the bottom. I try and keep the water temp about 180-190F

3. kocho

kocho Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've driven my '02 with blocked grille (not 100% but may be 80% on the bottom, 100% on the top) in 70F and looking at the temperature readings on my scanner. I saw no difference with what I saw after I took the grille off. I only monitored the engine coolant temp though - my scanner does not read the transmission/electric motrs or inverter temps. In the city the engine was actually cooler than on the highway so in mostly city traffic I think it is quite allright to keep the block into the 60s or even 70s

4. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't have a scan gauge, I just have the top blocked off and once it consistently stays in the 60's I will take them off. The weather in NJ has been up and down the last 2 weeks. one day it hit 70 and the next day there was frost on my car. I can't wait for regular spring weather.

ClubFord00 you can't say it blew off in the highway. Remember what site you on. This is a "eco" friendly site and you just opened yourself up for a onslaught of replies. lol You should of tied them on!:D

5. BoltonJoe

BoltonJoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks all.

I don't have a scan gauge (yet?), so I'll start removing grille insulation from the bottom up as it warms up outside. I'll take 'em all out when the cab is comfortable in the morning without having to wait for the heat.

--Joe

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I leave 'em (half grill method) in until the morning commute is 60 or higher. Then if it's in the 80's on the way home, I pull it out before I take off. What, it's only a whopping 45 seconds to do a reinstall when the drive home commute is finished.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have every slat blocked top and bottom I think you should remove at least one block on a lower slat at 60F. I've witnesses some pretty high Inverter and ICE temps at times when the OAT was 60F.

I'd probably consider completely unblocking the lower slats when temps are solidly 70F (ie rarely drops below 70). By 80F I can't see any benefit of any grill blocking.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've kept the top blocked year round. The bottom is 80% blocked and I'll pull that when the fan starts.

9. beach247

beach247 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pardon my ignorance. I'm a newbie. What are you guys talking about? I don't think I've come across anything about grille blockers on the "maintenance and care" section.

Thanks in advance.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tons of info if you search "Grill Blocking"
    Basically some of us block off the upper and lower grill with foam pipe insulation in the cooler weather to reduce cold air flow through the engine compartment which causes the engine temp to cool off quickly.....note that we're not blocking the radiator so much as the actual cold air circulating around the engine.

11. beach247

beach247 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, efusco. Makes a lot of sense. I live in LA. But, will be moving to Toronto mid-year. I have to look into it since it will definitely affect me when I move to Canada.

12. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    it does work. I did this for 2 months this year when it was down in the 30's at night..we actually hit in the upper 20's for a week..chilly! It's already 86 during the day now..and mid 60's at night..no need anymore for blockage.

ugh 110 is around the corner quick, which sucks also because A/C must be blasted or suffer

13. Clubford00

Clubford00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bigg, first of all it did blow off ON the highway, not IN the highway. but i should have explained the rest of the scenario. It blew off flipped up in the air up and over my car and right in the back of a recycling truck. :bounce:

14. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's ok then, :heh:. as long as it was a recycling truck.

15. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So if one does have a ScanGuage, what reading should one look for to say it's time to remove the blocks?

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately ScanGuage won't help a lot since it doesn't display inverter temps. I guess the one thing you can look at would be the ICE temp. If it's' consistantly over 190 you probably need to remove some blocking. Over 195 and you definately need to remove at least 2 blockers.

17. sleonardelli

sleonardelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Okay, I haven't read the manual yet and the dealer didn't tell me anything about grille blockers. I live in Tampa. Should I remove the grille blockers now (are there grille blockers on 08)?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unless you went to a hardware store & bought pipe insulation that got stuffed (or compression fit) in your grill your grill isn't blocked.