1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When the heck is Toyota going to announce/unveil the next gen Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by FriarNurgle, Feb 3, 2015.

1. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Went to the car show in Philly over the weekend and was quite disappointed they didn't have anything regarding the next gen Prius. Can not imagine they are even ready for a Dec 2015 or even 2016 release at this point in time.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    being ready, and disclosing information are two entirely different things.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to remember when the 2010 was unveiled -- 3 months before first deliveries?

4. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Guess you're right and I'm just impatient. Looks like they announced the 2010 in Jan '09 and released it in May.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we're all impatient.:p

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, January at the Detroit Auto Show, test drives in March and first deliveries in May of 2009.

It's like that every generation. It'll be worth the wait! And after the 4G honeymoon is over, PriusChat will be clamouring for the 2G Prius v and Prius c and you'll be there to tell them "patience, young grasshopper".

Sergiospl and john1701a like this.
  7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welp, for starters, Toyota is on the 6 year all-new cycle with the liftback Prius. But what bites is they are LATE. The 3rd gen went on sale in US in May 2009, prime time car buying season. Now, Toyota is hinting at December or January 2016 arrival in US during start of tax season and the coldest month of the year. Yay.

8. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Like everyone else, I'm waiting to see what kind of specs it will have, and more importantly, if the next gen plug-in prius will be available nationwide or if they're limiting it to the states that currently sell them. If they won't sell me one in WI, I'm going to get the Gen 2 Volt, Leaf, or Tesla Model 3.

Not that the prius is bad; I just want more EV mode availability now that it's gotten me used to the silent driving at times. But with Toyota's apparent anti-EV attitude, I'm guessing they won't be making an EV available until after their FCV (fuel cell vehicle) flops.

TomSwift likes this.
  9. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I was at the Philly car show yesterday too. The custom car "DUB area" was pretty cool.

Now take this with a grain of salt because I took the train into the city and we had a few pints before heading into the show...

The two toyota reps I believe stated to me when I asked them about the Gen4 prius that the Detroit auto show will be the unveiling?? Detroit was last month, so does this make any sense? 11 more months till the unveil....

10. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    They are taking the time to incorporate all of our comments from the other Gen IV thread. ;)

Tony D and goldfinger like this.
  11. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Or more likely, pointing and laughing at us for expecting them to do these sorts of things, while throwing wads of cash at each other.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    The reps didn't seem to give two craps when I mentioned that there is a lot of anxious people and lots of internet chatter of people jumping ship to other available EV vehicles…

Granted they both looked like supermodels (no they were not the car models, they were the reps), so who knows, possibly toyota sent them as eye candy for the masses…. look I didn't complain...:sick::D

13. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #13 Sergiospl, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They won't know as much as you do. I asked a Honda rep last year about the Honda Accord Hybrid and when it'll arrive. She said it doesn't exist (Wth?). There was an Accord PHV on display that may come to Canada (still hasn't arrived yet and may not if HCI decides it's not worth importing it). Now the Accord Hybrid is out and on sale.

I can understand if you can't unveil specs or pricing but denying its existence when we've seen photos and announcements?

15. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right after I buy my Tesla ....

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With Honda releasing the much anticipated "New Insight".
    Nearly simultaneously with the release of The "New" Gen 3?

That release and the anticipation heading into that release was fantastic. Both upcoming vehicles got a lot of exposure playing off rumors of each others price and capabilities. Both models were showing up at Auto Shows and in comparative videos months and months before actual release.

I don't know if the Gen 4 release is going to be able to match the excitement and attention that the Gen 3 release garnered.

But there is a lot of pressure I think on Toyota to get this next incarnation "right".

As I think Honda learned the hard way with the Insight...it can't just be acceptable..or good. It has to be better...an improvement. Toyota has to move the bar.

I know people are impatient, but I'd rather the Gen 4 be something really special, and a little longer reaching the dealership lots, then rushed and be a less dynamic product.

17. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Honda used to take pride in having the lowest fleet mpg in the industry. They took a wrong turn somewhere and now Toyota is the king. Be careful toyota and watch out for wrong turns or someone else may become king.

18. Joaquin Ruhi

Joaquin Ruhi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen IV Prius unveiling is most likely to take place at one of the three major A-list auto shows taking place in Fall 2015. The $64,000 question is which continent is the most likely to host the world premiere: Frankfurt in Europe (press days Tuesday 15 September and Wednesday 16 September), Tokyo in Asia (press day Thursday 29 October) or Los Angeles in America (press days Tuesday 17 November thru Thursday 19 November),

19. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The 2016 Toyota Prius is one of the best kept secrets that nearly matches that of the Manhatten Progect in the early 1940's (atomic bomb research). Toyota either has a real winner for the 2016 Prius or nothing to offer. Take your pick......

mozdzen and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could just be small improvements on the gen III and still be very popular, there's no competition.