1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When to change 12v battery @ 5 years

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mike James, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Mike James

Mike James Camaros and Prii go figure

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So I didn't take my own advice and change out the battery when the Prius turned five and I got the dreaded phone call from my wife my car won't start. Of course it is stranded in the Downtown parking garage which complicates things but I told her I knew exactly what was wrong with it. I went and bought a battery and installed it.

I'm just glad the battery died here in town and not during a road trip when we are on vacation which would have been absolutely disruptive so if your Prius 12 volt battery is 5 years old go ahead and change it don't wait and be a dummy like me my battery was 68 months when it died I should have changed it at 60 months.

The only tool you'll need to change it is a 10mm wrench. It's located in the lower right corner of the V (wagon). It was a trick getting the hatch open with the dead battery it took several tries before it finally opened I thought oh my gosh if I have to change this crawling over the backseat I would have been miserable but fortunately the trunk opened.

I bought the battery online then picked up in store at Advance Auto Parts and use their website discount code to get 25% off which was pretty good considering I needed one right away. Amazon Prime was a hair cheaper but it would have been a two-day delay.

Also when these batteries die they die immediately there's no warning.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A very good reminder. Thank you. Can I ask what the new battery cost? I keep reading that they are more expensive for a Prius. Why is that? What brand did you get.

#2 CoastRider, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  3. Mike James

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sooner Al and CoastRider like this.
  4. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. I've heard some good reports about the Optima batteries.

5. Mike James

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Correction: the price at Advanced Auto parts online was $192 minus the 25% = $148 plus a refundable $22 core charge. Actually cheaper than Amazon. I am very happy with the purchase experience.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Excellent reminder for most of us. Well, maybe especially me. We bought our 2011 on the last day of Feb 2012. It was an orphaned leftover, so it might be time to order a new Battery.