1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

when to fill the tank....

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by terry rusinow, Jul 4, 2012.

1. terry rusinow

terry rusinow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Someone I know who owns a Prius was told not to ever let the tank get below 1/2 before refilling, that it was bad for the car. Has anyone else ever heard that? Sounds a bit iffy to me.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some people get nervous going below 1/2 tank on any car. Most of us are willing to use much more of the tank's capacity.

Read a few of Bob Wilson's results at [WARNING] Running out of gas (Gen III). The full story of what really happened is buried deep in the thread, but the base post has some useful figures for how much fuel remains in a regular Liftback when the last fuel indicator bar starts flashing. I don't remember anyone running the same experiment on the 'v'.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well that is certainly 'overkill'.
    What you want to avoid is ever running out of gas:
    1) It disturbs your day.
    2) Gas cools your fuel pump, when you don't have any, the pump runs hotter.
    3) Normally the HV Battery is never allowed to get below 40% full, with no gas, there is no way to keep it above 40% full.
    4) Normally the computers balance the engine and battery power draw, and with no gas, they can't.

It does not effect other flavors of Prius except the North American Gen 2, but here are my rules for that car (which has a variably sized gas tank)

If your Mother in Law is in the car, get gas at 3 pips, you will never in your life live down stranding her.
    If your spouse is in the car, get gas at 2 pips, no reason to give them ammunition.
    If you are solo, get gas at one pip. No one need ever know you ran yourself out of gas.
    If the last pip blinks, get gas RIGHT NOW. Trust me.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    rules for a happy life.:)