1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When to get service; dealer vs independents

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Frank O, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Frank O

Frank O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2011 Prius had 30,000-mile service just about exactly one year ago, and 35,000-mile service in July. At the moment there is only 38,000 miles on the odometer, so at this rate I may not be hitting 40,000 miles for a couple of months or more.

I'm therefore wondering the following:

-- Should I take the car in now? I gather that an oil change at least annually is regarded as important. Should I only get the oil change now, or all of the maintenance items associated with 40,000-mile service?

-- There's an excellent independent mechanic down the street (much closer than the Toyota dealer) who takes care of our family's other cars. He says he can do basic tasks on the Prius like oil changes but can't help with the hybrid system. Would one option be to have him change the Prius oil now, and take it to the dealer for the other 40,000-mile items later? Or should I just bite the bullet and have the dealer do whatever they deem necessary now? The independent mechanic did say I could call him if the dealer wants to lay on extra items like brake work to see if he can do it cheaper.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the local mechanic can do all the regular maintenance work forever. unless something in the hybrid system breaks, there is no regular maintenance. check your o/m for service requirements. it's all filters, oil and tyres until you're over 100,000 miles. and then it's still pretty simple like fluids and plugs.

Frank O likes this.
  3. Frank O

Frank O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. Now I'm wondering:

-- Am I right in thinking that although I've had the car for 3-3/4 years, there are still some systems under warranty? If so, do I need to worry about anything if I have my local mechanic do the routine work? Just save receipts?

-- I'm guessing there's somewhere I can look to find out how to reset the maintenance nag message that will start appearing on the car's control panel at some point?

4. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Resetting the maintenance required display is easy. The instructions on how to do it is in your owner's manual.

5. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Right along with a list of "recommended" routine maintenance items.

My gut feeling is that you are worrying WAY too much about doing the items exactly as recommended.
    Doing things a little early or a little late makes no difference.
    I do mine when it is convenient for me........as the time or mileage gets near.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the Hybrid system is warrantied for 10 years/150,000 miles if you bought and are registered in California. Powertrain, Corrosion, and Restraints are 5/ 60,000. The maintenance manual has pages and pages of what is warrantied where.
    http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-11Prius/pdf/MY11%20Toyota%20Prius%20WMG.pdf

Brake work I would have done at a dealer and all repairs. Other maintenance is fine at any competent mechanic.

#6 JimboPalmer, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    Frank O likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and pollution equipment. basic warranties are over, 1/12 and 3/36.

8. Frank O

Frank O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great information, thanks to all. I just wanted to make sure going to an independent wouldn't be a problem later relative to warranty etc.

I'd be interested in spending another minute or so on this point. Besides the fact that my mechanic is cheaper and closer, I believe he does better work than I would get at a dealer. (I think back some years ago when I took another make of car to a different brand dealer, who botched a brake job.) The only advantages I would see to a dealer is that (a) they use OEM parts and (b) they are more geared-up to deal with issues like the hybrid system. A brake job or, say, thermostat replacement seem pretty generic. Is there an angle I'm not seeing? (I know that when I needed to replace the first pair of tires on the Prius, I got the identical OEM brand from a local tire shop I've patronized for many years for considerably less than the dealer quoted.)

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The regenerative brakes make it almost immpossible to bleed the brakes without Toyota software.

(Bootleg copies do exist)

Not only can you or an independant mechanic do maintenance, you can enter it into Toyota's website for a record.

#9 JimboPalmer, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    Frank O likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, an indy has to be careful, knowledgable and have tech stream to do certain items on the prius. brake and coolant bleeding are among them, and even the dealers mess up on a regular basis.

#10 bisco, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  11. Frank O

Frank O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good point -- I forgot about that aspect.

Would that be here?:

Service History Online - Toyota Owners

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes.

13. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the engine oil was changed in July, four months and 3,000 miles ago at 35,000 miles, you are not due for an oil change.

If the engine oil was changed one year and 8,000 miles ago at 30,000 miles per the Toyota maintenance schedule you are now due for an oil change and should do so immediately to preserve your powertrain warranty.

If you don't DIY, find a good dealer and build a good relationship with them by letting them do your routine maintenance. It will benefit you if and when you have a major problem only the dealer can fix. Your independent has already admitted he is not fully qualified to work on your Prius.

#13 Den49, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014