1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When to quit driving Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by crewdog, Dec 26, 2011.

1. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Happy Holidays to All.

Am in the queue for a Plug-in Prius to be delivered in March or April, and am wondering when to quit driving my 2006 Gen II with 110k.

will be selling privately a little closer to expected delivery of PiP.

I could easily put on 5 or 10k more miles till then but right now car has fresh 110k service, front end align, 30k left on Michelin HydroEdge tires, and otherwise in good shape.

We do have an F150 that's just used to pull a small boat that could be used as a daily driver, but gas mileage is substantially lower.

Would it make any difference in sale value to have 120k on a 2006 Gen II instead of 110k?

Just fishing for thoughts.

2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fresh after service is a good time to sell, but.. January/Feb is usually the worse time to sell.
    IMHO 10K are not going to make big diff, it is still over 100K.

Do you have to pass inspection to register in GA? how hard it is? around here passing inspection adds 1-1.5K to old car.

I'd advertise it and drive until good deal comes alone good luck.

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Personally I don't think 110k versus 120k will make too much difference in price. Over 100k people are going to pay far more attention to the cars overall condition rather than to an extra 10k miles.

Tires that look "mid life" versus one that look like they'll need replacement almost immediately will make a difference to the price. If the tires look totally shot then people tend to immediately factor $600+ for new rubber into the price. If the tires look anything that resembles "mid life" they tend to just think "status quo" and not pay much more attention to them. Given that you've got a good 30k miles remaining on those tires I'd say you could drive another 10k and then give them a quick shine/black and have them looking presentable enough that it's not an issue.

I take it that your F150 gets about 18 to 20 MPG, so realistically it's going to cost you at least $1000 more in gas to drive that instead of the Prius for another 10k miles. I doubt that an extra 10k miles will shift the value by this much, so my vote is to keep driving the Prius. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As has already been hinted, this is the wrong question. Instead, you should ask whether or not the difference is enough to cover the much higher operating cost of the F150 for that distance.

5. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just keep driving the Prius. 100k miles is the big milestone for used cars and you are already past it - if you were at 90k it might be worth it, but not so much now.

6. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I think i may just drive the truck for 1 or 2 days a week till March.
    I just will try and keep the mileage down on both vehicles.

Happy New Year!

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait at least until gas prices shoot up in 2012 before selling. You may get more for the car or sell it quicker.