1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When to remove grill blocking material???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Blizzard_Persona, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Wondering? Question has prob been answered previously but alas I am asking it again for all to see under new posts….. I know,search, search, search….;)

I have my lower Grill (only) on my 2015 persona pretty much blocked as much as its gonna be…

This week has been T-shirt weather (40-60 high), and am wondering if I should pull the pipe insulators off or wait a couple weeks…not sure if winter is over but it sure looks that way…thankfully...

At what avg temps are everyone pulling the grills blocks off at… and do most trash (recycle) or save and reuse the old blocking material...

On another note, I put a few hundred miles on my Motorbike these last few days...(y)

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I block 50% of the lower typically. 100% of the lower if it's consistently below freezing (which barely happened this last winter, on the west coast).

I leave the upper completely unblocked. I've read not to block upper more than 50%, at any time, due to inverter radiator being exclusively in that area. I just keep it simple, never block the upper.

Once temps are getting up around 14~15C I pulled it all out. If I'm going up a ski hill I pull it all out. If there's a chance I'm going to use AC I pull it all out.

I'm using foam pipe insulation, reused it for 4 years now.

Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  3. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll watch my engine coolant temps and remove some blocking only if temps go above about 205 F. I block 50% of the Acura TSX and Toyota Camry grill year-round and temps remain normal even in hot summer weather. I expect the Prius will respond similarly.

Robert Holt likes this.
  4. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I do not have a scan gauge or equivalent fyi…

so am hoping for suggestions on external (ambient) temp to remove Grill block material…

Thanks Mendel…. reuse makes sense..stow and reuse..

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When engine coolant reaches 90C, time to take the grill off. Double check the radiator overflow tank and fill to line if low.

Bob Wilson

6. ramattos

ramattos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i plan to remove the upper when i need to use the ac more as someone mentioned above and remove it all when the temps are above 40 as the lows for more than a week. btw i just came back from a 200 mile trip with 100% blocking and ambient around 43f and the temps never got over 193f.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    An open grill is paramount for AC performance. Maybe in winter it's ok, for dehumidifying. But: look through the grill: that big front radiator you see is the AC radiator.

8. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have GenIII since 2009 and I keep blocking lower part until A/C is needed which is about mid May .... for me in NYC area ...

But this may vary on road/load/driving style. I would not recommend the above without "somehow" monitoring at least ICE coolant temp if it regularly reaches and stays above 190F time to remove it...

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    BP, the bottom is blocked year round.

10. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Really? I currently only have my lower grill blocked, I never blocked the top grill...

So your saying to permanently block my lower grill? I live / work in the philadelphia region so it does get pretty hot n humid in the summer...

And again, I do not have a scan guage to monitor temps..

Thanks for all the replys folks.

:)

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    BP, I leave the bottom blocked all year because the tubes are secured with twist ties. Engine coolant temp seldom gets to 200F and is rather stable. Inverter coolant temp varies a great deal. It starts at the outside air temp and increases with use. I'm not running any hotter than those in the deep South.

One photo is from last April at the 21st century Automotive Challenge after the day's rally. You can see the top is blocked because that white spot in the grill is the sun bleached label on the pipe insulation. (I know it's tacky but the pieces aren't replaced in their original slots. I should have flipped it for the display but nobody else notices.) The indentation in the bottom tubes are from the twist ties.

The other photo was taken the next day at the track waiting for inspection before the autocross. The car had the 2nd best time just behind the biodiesel Jetta.

Attached Files:

12. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    if you are driving over 60 mph for over 30 minutes and the driving temperature is over 50 F no grill blocking
    If you are driving under 40 mph for and the driving temperature is over 60 F no grill blocking

If you are driving below 40 mph in a driving temperature drops under 40 mph put on grill blocking

13. CeeJayNorth

CeeJayNorth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've taken off my grill blocking - the driving temperature in the Washington DC Metro Area is now about 60 degree Fahrenheit most of the time so my grill blocking is now 100% off. The reason to take it off is to avoid triggering the electric cooling fan for the coolant system (if the engine runs too hot the extra load on the cooling system will cause the MPG to drop a tad). The return to warmer weather also means my Prius' MPG naturally is going up too!. The HSI display says my mileage for the last +540 miles is about 60 mpg but it is more likely to be closer to 58 mpg

15. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I took my grill block off last week as well. It was warm enough to run the AC for a couple days so it was time I guess.

Go figure though, the last few days have been in the very low 40's and on and off rain,and severe weather today! lol

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly. 37 yesterday, blocking still in.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah if you're running AC for cooling the first interior, seems to me completely wrong to leave ANY grill block in. That big front rad is the AC's means of dissipating heat.

One thing I do leave in year 'round tho, are short sections of tube insulation where hood meets fender. They don't impede rad cooling, but hold in the heat a bit.

Also I suspect they reduce air flow through engine bay, it seems to be staying pretty clean.

image.jpg

#17 Mendel Leisk, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    Robert Holt likes this.
  18. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    We have such mixed weather here.
    See attached.
    What to do...

Attached Files:

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Similar conditions here, I'm use nothing' on the top (ever), 50% on the bottom, and the aforementioned block at hood/fender seam. IF it stays solidly below freezing, then I'll put a second tube in the bottom, ie: 100% block.

IMG_6376.JPG

If I'm doing something like going up a ski hill, I'll take that one lower tube out.

PriusNeckBeard likes this.