1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When to Replace 12V Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Siward, Sep 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's a bolt on the firewall with another grounding wire on it near the fusebox.

Bluegrassman and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what i use. i don't see the need to go to the other side, it's not like your trying to avoid a spark near the battery.

Bluegrassman likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can use any bare, grounded metal. For small size clamps, or a multi meter probe, I use location #1. If you're using larger jumper cables that might slip off that, there's a shock tower bolt a bit beyond #2.

upload_2016-10-1_8-9-0.png

The outstanding metal tang at right corner of inverter (supporting cable conduit) is also grounded, but I'm a little leery about connecting to it, lol.

#23 Mendel Leisk, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, avoid using the inverter cover bolts as ground. I've had check hybrid system errors for unexpected ground detected in the past. The error clears, but best to avoid them in the first place.

Bluegrassman and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for the pic and the info!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Being low, shaded, and dense, that battery won't get nearly as hot on a sunny, hot day as the interior does---or as hot as an under-hood battery does in other circumstances.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i still think draining it is the biggest issue.

8. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    My 2015 Prius has 110k miles. The 12v battery just died almost 4 years to the day since I bought the car. No warning - went out to get in the car and it was dark - dead. I replaced the factory battery with the Bosch Group 51 AGM for Prius at PepBoys $146 after 25% online discount. I don't live in a warm climate so getting only 4 years out of the original battery surprised me.

Note - I had no problems with the posts on the Bosch battery and the clamps on my gen3 Prius.

9. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And that's exactly the reason for replacing the battery every four years. Sometimes it just dies without warning. Could you stretch it to 5,6, even 7 years? Maybe, maybe not.

But if you think of it as a regular maintenance cost, like an oil change, then you'll be in a position to jump on a deal like the Bosch at PepBoys without having to worry about being stranded somewhere in the middle of nowhere and paying whatever the 24-hour repair shop feels like gouging you for. At $150, the PepBoys battery works out to roughly $38 per year on a four year replacement schedule. If you try to stretch the replacement out to 6 years, you can drop the cost down to $25/year. Is saving $13/year worth buying car starting booster packs and making sure to keep them charged worth it?

Hackmaniac likes this.
  10. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Batteries come with pro-rated warranties. You can get a discount if you wait until it dies although it would be pretty troublesome to deal with it. You can't use the warranty if you replace it early unless it tests at a low voltage.

I don't mind dealing with dead batteries in the summer, but I would really hate being stranded in the winter. That being said, I replaced my OEM battery after 4 years to be safe.
    Canadian Tire Eliminator Ultra AGM Battery for Prius (w/Pics) | PriusChat

11. VictorB

VictorB New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Information

WilDavis likes this.
  12. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The original battery on our '02 Chrysler -- a regular maintenance-free wet-cell battery -- was more than 7 years old when I replaced it just because...

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    had the battery ever been drained inadvertently during the 4 years?

i've never gotten less than 8 years from the oem

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are so many factors that determine battery life. It is hard to predict. Someone I know recently left his car undriven for 3 months and the battery got drained.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Protracted down time is tough on 12 volt batteries, there's constant low level drainage.

Ours often sits for multiple days, and now spends more time hooked up to a CTEK 4.3 charger than not. I've wired in the quck-connect, makes it easy. Coming up on 4 years now, still in the pink.

16. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think @Mendel Leisk brings up a good point.

If you take care of your battery and keep it charged with a quality de-sulfating charger, it will last longer. If you are careful, and never run your battery charge to zero, it will last longer. If you protect your battery from extremely hot temperatures, it will last longer.

If, on the other hand, you are someone like me, who forgets sometimes to turn off headlights, and who lives in Atlanta, and who rarely remembers to hook the battery up to a charger, then you might want to use a more frequent replacement schedule.

The big thing to remember is that these batteries can fail without any warning. It's all risk management - how much is it worth to you to go out to your car and have a 100% certainty that it will start when you push the ignition switch? If that's worth a lot, then it makes sense to replace your battery frequently. Could the battery last longer? Probably. But the chances of failure go up with every year of use.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We have left our 2012 Gen 3 hatchback parked for up to 2 months at a time, but we were very careful to unplug the Scangauge and use the vehicle setup menu to turn off the SKS and remote door lock systems. Startup requires re-entry with the physical key and putting the key fob right up to the power button for a restart. The 12-volt survived but it appeared to be getting weak after doing this several times over 4 years, so I proactively replaced it.

On our Gen 3, I have used the setup menu to set the auto-lights-off function to turn off the lights immediately at shutdown.
    (Small Aircraft ICEs are sparked by dual magnetos to avoid plane engine failure due to 12-volt battery failure. However, the interior lights and the electrically-driven subset of instruments plus the radios die when the 12-volt dies, so flying becomes high stress, particularly if it occurs at night. I carried a small red lens flashlight to hold in my mouth and a backup radio to cope with this situation.)

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On our 3rd gen I measured milliamps with the car off, it was around 18, with spikes maybe every 5~6 seconds to around 40. I don't think the spikes were the security icon on the dash: it seemed a little more frequent. Not sure though. It would seem a likely suspect.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i leave my car sitting 8-10 weeks every winter in an unheated attached garage, no problem.

when people in cooler climates say they only get 4 years out of a 12v, you have to wonder if something else is going on.

WilDavis likes this.
  20. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    No....this was the first problem of any kind we've ever had with the car. The 2015 Prius has been 100% flawless.

For other owners who are near or beyond the 4 year mark on the OEM 12v battery, I would recommend investing $30 in a Battery Tender. It's super easy to connect one at the fuse box under the hood, and you'll accomplish 2 goals. Your 12v battery will always be at full charge, and you'll see the increase in recharge times if/when you start to see some degradation. It may save you a major inconvenience.

#40 Michael Wood, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Robert Holt likes this.