1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When to Replace Engine and Inverter Coolant?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Den49, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Toyota maintenance schedule calls for replacing the engine coolant at 100,000 miles/120 months; and, replacing the inverter coolant at 150,000 miles/180 months.

On my Toyotas and other cars with such long life coolants, I replaced the coolant between 4 to 5 years on the theory that the OEM schedule is an outside recommendation, the long life coolants can fail earlier and cooling system repairs can be expensive. Remember GM Dexcool?

However, the Toyota Long Life coolant is one the best coolants and seems to be holding up well. At three years and 50,500 miles, my coolant PH is 8.9 and the concentration is 50% according to the test strips I use. I am thinking as long as the PH is good, I will probably not replace the coolant earlier than Toyota recommends. 100,000 miles will occur for me at about 8 years for the engine coolant, at which time I will replace both the engine and inverter coolant.

This probably doesn’t matter for people who don’t keep their cars a long time. It is more of an issue for people who plan to keep their cars a long time and want to do the preventive maintenance needed to avoid costly repairs as the car gets older.

If you plan to keep your Prius a long time, when do you plan to replace the engine and inverter coolant?

TsKarma likes this.
  2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to derail this issue- but what do you do with spent coolant nowadays?
    Back in the day- we used to just let it run down the driveway and we washed it into the grass with the garden hose. Somehow I can't see doing that with the stuff they use in today's vehicles..

3. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Read the label.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I replaced mine at 35k miles after reading recommendations on here to change early. I will probably do it again at 70k since it was so easy to do with an Air Lift device.

edthefox5 and jjPrius like this.
  5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    contact your local trash hauler. most have a "Hazo" House where they collect hazardous waste. here, we can take it in for free as long as we are county residents. there is a limit but its not really an issue. the limit was imposed to prevent businesses from taking their waste (mostly paint, etc) there for nothing.

6. schorert

schorert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    annnnd so it begins. "if you want to keep your car a long time, changing (insert fluid here) is necessary to extend the life of your vehicle". So you're asking for opinions from this group that can be based only on "feeling" and not a demonstrated benefit...I mean there's no research or data from this group that could ever confirm any kind of benefit from early fluid swaps. People on this forum still line up to swap fluids early.
    You will now get an assortment of opinions probably ranging from 30kmi to 80kmi because obviously the manuf. recommended interval for ANYTHING is too long by about 100%.
    So the question you need to ask is "Is there a documented incidence of (insert fluid here) related failures in my make/model of car?" (are problems with this fluid(like your dexcool example) appearing on a regular basis on this group).
    If the answer is "no" (it is) then there's no reason to even suspect that the manufacturer's interval is too long(as you seem to have already determined). Recreational coolant change will likely be this summer's sensation.

potatoesLOL, jabecker and ftl like this.
  7. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The county in which I live has a recycling center at the landfill which accepts used oil, ATF, coolant, paint and other household hazzardous waste.

8. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I may never replace it. But if i do it will be around 150k

9. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Coolant and components are matched to a high degree in modern cars -- years ago you had all kinds of metals in the cooling system... and very little plastic - and the engines leaked into the coolant. Modern coolant does not degrade like it did 25 years ago. The dealers do not do flushes when you have a "coolant service" they just dump the radiator and refill -- so the fluid in the engine stays. I have been surprised at how clean the coolant is at 5 years on those that call for 5 year changes -- our Lexus at 8+ had changed color but had very few noticeable suspended particles. I just did a change on a 2002 MB with 100k -- as recommended and it was surprisingly clear. Make sure you use the correct fluid -- we do not mix coolants -- we purchase the correct fluids from the manufacture's dealer. If you have a concern do a simple change using one gallon of the correct Toyota fluid at 5 years - you will clear any particles that have settled at the bottom and refresh the coolant -- the proper coolant is under $30.00.

schorert likes this.
  10. schorert

schorert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yes indeedy, I still believe the day of the sealed system is years not decades away. Honestly, the MB oil change was so unsatisfying...you suck the oil out through the dipstick tube, drop a new filter in the top, refill with oil. no tools(aside from a pump), no gloves, you don't even get under the car....every 15kmi

11. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cost for Toyota SLL ranges between $20-$30/gal depending on your relationship with your Toyota dealer.

I had a dealer do an engine coolant drain and refill at 31k for $59.95. They were only able to remove 1 gal upon draining from the radiator. The flat rate tech was on a huge hurry so it is possible that more would have been removed if time was not a concern.

I will do the inverter coolant soon, and will use Techstream to cycle the pump for bleeding.

Coolant is inexpensive compared to cooling system issues. I may even experiment and add BG super cool to the engine loop to refresh the coolant that was not removed.

12. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you plan to use your AirLift to evacuate the air and refill the inverter? I am wondering whether that would mimimize or eliminate the need for air bleeding. If you use the AirLift, feedback after you complete the job on the extent of air bleeding needed would be appreciated.

13. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The tech at the dealer did not use an airlift to refill, and I do not plan to use one for the inverter either. I had originally planned to do the engine coolant myself, but other things got in the way. IIRC the shop manual has a procedure for bleeding the inverter which involves a bleed screw and cycling the inverter pump to remove the air pockets.

14. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hobbit's done a pretty comprehensive look at SLL inverter coolant: 100K maint - 5

He also documented an engine coolant change: 100K maint - 5

Inverter coolant serves as a lubricant for the pump, a likely factor in pump longevity.

15. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would not put any additives into any system as a preventive measure -- doing an early refresh will accomplish what you want and will not run the risk of any air lock problems and the corresponding overheat concerns ..... I'm a firm believer in the "if it's not broken" system.

Hobbit's info is interesting -- if you read any of the articles in the fleet maintenance regarding coolant they are about the same ........ the stuff really will last as long as many cars are on the road - or require a part that will result in a refresh

16. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  17. Randall Martin

Randall Martin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On a 2008 prius, my inverter fluid is at the low mark. Should I just add fluid to the fill mark?

I don't want to drain it myself, so if necessary, that must mean the dealer and big bucks?

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes. You can buy the correct Toyota Coolant at dealership, likely premixed with water, but verify. You're pretty much locked in to buying a gallon.

With the car cooled down, remove the reservoir caps and top up to the full line.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Den49, at least in the pdf of US maintenance guide I have, it's 120K miles or 12 years for both engine and inverter coolant. Forget where I even got it though.

Capture.JPG

20. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mendel,

There may be a different Canadian schedule for coolant changes, as there is for engine oil, however footnote 3 on the bottom of page 51 of the revised "Prius 2010 Warranty & Maintenance Guide" states:

"Initial engine coolant replacement at 100,000 miles/120 months. Replace every 50,000 miles/60 months thereafter."​

"Initial inverter coolant replacement at 150,000 miles/180 months. Replace every 50,000 miles/60 months thereafter."
    The revised "Prius 2010 Warranty & Maintenance Guide" was published in January 2010. It superseded the original April 2009 "Prius 2010 Warranty & Maintenance Guide" for purpose of increasing the oil change interval from 5,000 miles/ 6 months to 10,000 miles/12 months with synthetic oil; however, the coolant replacement specification was unchanged.

The page you posted is incomplete. It does not show footnote 5.

#20 Den49, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.