1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When to replace tires due to age

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by schja01, Jun 23, 2023.

1. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a Prime with very very low mileage stock tires but they are now 5 yrs old. I see recommendations that they should be replaced at 5yrs through 10 yrs. What are the recommendations specific to the Prime? By very low mileage I mean 6000 miles.
    Thanks,
    J

#1 schja01, Jun 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  3. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Would the cracks be radial? Circumferential? Both?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Look them over closely. FWIW 5 years is peanuts.

schja01 likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. Peng Xiao

Peng Xiao Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    10 years

schja01 and bisco like this.
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Your car is 5 years old. Although it's rare, the tires could possibly be older. Here's how to check.

For my money, 5 years is when to start inspecting them up close, particularly if the car gets a lot of sunlight/no garage parking.

Doug McC and schja01 like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got some snow tires with build-date of February, 2010. They were first installed in November of 2010. Last winter we used them, they "look" fine still, maybe the slightest cracking commencing (I'm myopic, macro vision my super-power...), and they still have around 7/32" tread depth.

Last winter I was struggling going up one steep/snowy grade, decided, it's time. Even though they look good, guess the rubber is losing it's pliability, and grip.

schja01 likes this.
  9. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The car is garaged when not in use which, obviously, is a lot of the time.
    The DOT code says week 21 of 2018. Took delivery Aug, 2018.
    I can’t see any cracks in the outside sidewalls or between the treads.
    Thanks. J

Attached Files:

#9 schja01, Jun 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
  10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Snow tires harden and lose any relative advantage vs. fresh all-seasons by age 5. You'll slide off the road long before the tread is worn to replacement indication.

All-seasons are harder to begin with, so you get a little longer.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    The vehicle the tires are mounted on is irrelevant. As is the miles the tires have traveled. It is the age of the tires themselves. The biggest concern is the UV degradation, which is being minimized by the fact you keep the car out of the sun for the most part.
    The next concern is aging due to temperature swings which, again is being mitigated by keeping the car garaged and your location.
    The third concern is the flexing of the tires through use that keeps the compounds mixed (don’t ask me to explain that process as I couldn’t grasp it completely at the time it was explained).
    Tread depth is completely irrelevant in this situation, as it is the aging and deterioration of the compounds that the tires are made of.
    Based on the information you’ve provided and the seminars on this subject I have taken part in (conducted by engineers who have actually investigated tire failures) I wouldn’t worry too much right now and WOULD replace them at the 7 year mark.
    HOWEVER, I would not (if they were on my car) leave them on if I was intending to make an extended trip with the vehicle.
    Additionally, the degradation of the sidewalls would not necessarily be visible to the naked eye. So please, don’t go by appearance.
    I have had a front blowout at highway speeds on a tire that looked completely fine but had degraded due to age AND (believe it or not) low use. Trust me, you don’t want to experience that! That’s why I took the the time to attend those seminars. I can’t explain the processes at work but I understand them now.
    Personally, being an owner of a Prius and putting ~3000 miles a year on it, I will be changing out the tires at the 5 year mark.

EDIT: Just thought of this: if your like most of the Gen 4 owners, additional point to replacing them is You Don’t Have A Spare. Just picture yourself on the wrong part of the south side with a flat. FWTW

#11 Doug McC, Jun 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
  12. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks much. At this phase of my life a new set of tires won’t put me in the poor house so I’m leaning toward replacing them “just because” but mostly peace of mind. It’s going in for its annual checkup and servicing in August. J

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Our Prius and both of its sets of tires turned 5 this year as well. I know I'll be buying a set of tires this fall, I just haven't decided if it's going to be a new set of all-seasons, or a new set of winter tires followed by new all-seasons in the spring. Our usage pattern is changing, might not need the extra traction insurance going forward.

Doug McC likes this.
  14. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I think you’re a wise person.

15. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I don’t know where you’re located, but this past winter here in NW Illinois the few times I needed to venture out in the snow and ice, the all-season original equipment tires didn’t fail me in any way. Of course, being retired and living in a relatively small “city”, I have the luxury of picking and choosing when I venture out. :)

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i replaced the oems at 40k. now at 85k, i'll have to look up how old they are. surprisingly, they (michelin energy saver a/s) hardly look worn.
    garaged and mostly low speed driving, i can't decide when i'll replace them.

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well we got the car in part to support my wife's ultracommute, 175 miles each way along the eastern seaboard. The snow tires mattered a few times in the first couple of years.

The biggest question mark in my head is that we just switched from some not-snowy La Niña years to a ?? El Niño pattern this year, so this next winter could be worse than the last few.

Doug McC likes this.
  18. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Yipes! THAT is a long commute! One crazy storm could easily pay for the snow tires. Of course, if you have luck like mine, if you put the money into the new snowshoes, it won’t snow for the next five years.