1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When to retire the car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JMalmsteen, Aug 17, 2017.

1. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    haha nice catch!

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. JMalmsteen

JMalmsteen I love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You are the model of Dave Ramsey's ideal, and everything you said is true. The whole thing with the credit industry lacks sense. You are probably in the half a percent of responsible people who live like that. I think we have a disproportionate number of intelligent and prudent people on this forum, because of the logic of owning this car! It's economically wise.

Not having a credit score is hard. Your score affects what you pay on so many things. Even insurance- my mom has no credit, never had a credit card, and her home insurance is double the price as a result.

The WRX is a great car, I enjoy it more than the Vette and drive it all the time. I literally can't get the Vette out of the garage and need my husband to (the garage is very close to a fence and maneuvering the car out is tricky). I also won't leave it outside. I'm conflicted about that car, especially since it's a "nice" one. There's no logic to it. The Challenger we never drive, it's been paid off for years. The Vette is my car but when I mention selling it and the lack of logic, my husband tells me to keep it (we both work hard and can afford it, so he doesn't see selling it for my logic).

Getting a new Prius to me is also slightly illogical, since I can get one for so much less and don't mind an older car. But, we got the last one fairly new (at 3k miles), and have driven it for nearly half a million miles. With a new one, we will know how the car was maintained. In the NE, they have a $3500 rebate and are discounting the cars further.

3. JMalmsteen

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This one wasn't a plug in. The earlier plug in models didn't have much range and I'm not looking for one.

At 150k you can have a lot that can go wrong, including failure of the traction battery.

#43 JMalmsteen, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  4. JMalmsteen

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Some people can play the game and get tons of revolving credit and high scores at that age with low incomes. I've seen it done.

5. JMalmsteen

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree. My husband thinks we can get more miles out of the car though! If I was a betting man, I would bet right now that this car will be getting a new engine or transmission when those go too!

6. Paranormal Rob

Paranormal Rob Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  7. Paranormal Rob

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  8. JMalmsteen

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you want one get one. Since Toyota has introduced the Prime, you can likely get a much better deal on the original plug in.

9. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The plug in has better fuel economy and traction battery than the regular gen 3s. And the regular gen 3s' traction battery is virtually bulletproof. Never heard of One going bad. Anyways sold today 6k and I'll be thinking about it for a long time I'm pissed I didn't get it (I have been watching and thinking about this prius for 3 weeks).

Also, and I hope I don't sound rude here I don't mean to be, but u sound like a totally different person...one person questioning whether they should keep a beat up 450k mile prius that needs a thousand dollar repair...and the other person saying a mint 2012 plug in w/ only 150k miles (worth 9k on a bad day) is high miles with a lot that could go wrong.

#49 MilkyWay, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  10. JMalmsteen

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's MY 469k car, I know the service history and how it's been treated. That's why. It's different not knowing the history. I'll give you an example- my step-father is the hardest person I have ever known on cars. In the span of ten years, he had eight cars. He has had the Prius since Hurricane Sandy, so for a few years. I got them the car with 95k miles and it now has around 120k miles and I'm sure that's the hardest miles any car has seen. I wouldn't touch a car that he has had. So, that's the explanation. If I was able to buy a car from a family who seemed nice and they had a service history on the car and seemed like decent people, no problem. At auction or from a used car lot, you don't have much to base your opinion on.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed.(y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. LVA

LVA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You enjoy more driving WRX than Vette or it is just easier to drive WRX? I mean, i love sport cars but they are little bit of more demanding to drive than souped-up family wagons. They are also rewarding cars to drive, that's the reason why i love them. When i bought my Supra it was little bit of shocking to drive tbh. It was so low, wide and harsh and so on. But after 4 years and 50t miles it is my all time favorite car. It is nice feeling when you truly know your car and the car does communicate with you in a way which is hard to tell with words. You know instantly if something is wrong or if the car is in a good mood and just want to go and go :)

Keep her. She is a fine car. :)

13. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good to see you agree with yourself :p.

bisco and Paranormal Rob like this.
  14. Paranormal Rob

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah I rarely agree with myself.

Jeff Dunham even argues with himself

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The thing I try to avoid when I talk to myself is answering, especially around others:eek:.

Prodigyplace and Paranormal Rob like this.
  16. Paranormal Rob

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just act like you're on your phone with a bluetooth headset.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the compliments. Yes, we definitely live the "Dave Ramsey way", for the most part anyway. His principles definitely work for building wealth and net worth. We all can understand that spending less and saving more is a good thing, but in practice it's a difficult thing to live. To this day we still use the cash envelope system even though we really don't need to. Using cash is still the best method to limit spending and for 2 people to know how much is left for discretionary use.

I once thought that once we became debt free and built up some wealth that we would become free wheeling spenders, but that hasn't happened. We are generally cheapskates (hence my love for my 06 Prius lol!) and that frugality will probably never leave us. We have opened up the wallet a little bit for nicer vacations but that's about it. I guess we finally learned contentment on the road to becoming middle aged people lol.

JMalmsteen and jerrymildred like this.
  18. JMalmsteen

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It seems like this car will last forever. I already heard talks of a new engine if this one needs to be replaced. Consider this car the ultimate generation 2 commuter car experiment.

I suppose if you have spent eleven years and half a million miles in a car, you get attached!

To think that I initially thought this would be a logical decision. We will now have a fixed 2007 and a 2017 Prime. I assure you this was not the result I had originally expected!!

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you just keep replacing things, it will last forever. a million miles, here we come!(y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. JMalmsteen

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm done making decisions with the '07! I'll keep the forum updated. Whatever he wants to do from this point forward.