1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When using solar fan, should I crack windows? Leave button in ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusNeckBeard, Oct 24, 2016.

1. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My questions are pretty much in the title.

If I'm not expecting rain, and I've got the solar fan button pressed in, should windows be cracked as well ? Does the solar fan work better with windows open or closed?

What about the button?
    Is it OK to just leave it pushed in all the time ?

2. BethPet

BethPet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I leave my windows up, and the button on all year! Love the feature, and will keep the car as long as I can because of the roof.

Pixel XL ?

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Why not just roll your windows all the way down and not use the solar feature? ;)

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I leave the button in all year long. The fan won't run if it's cool out/inside. If the interior heats up when it's cool out, the fan will cycle on and off, coming on to cool the interior, then shutting off until it warms up again.
    I have the Toyota side window deflectors, and leave the front two side windows down about 1", though the ventilation will work with the windows up. It exhausts through the traction battery vent exhaust as well as through any "leaks" in the body with the windows up. It just has less restriction with the windows down a bit.

The only downside to the solar fan is the filter can get dirty faster. But it's easy to clean or replace.

6. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  7. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Those do look pretty good..
    So what's the point? Just to be able to leave window open a crack when I'm not in the car? Or is there more to it ?
    Just checking.

8. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You can leave the windows open an inch or so when parked and most people can't even see they are open, AND rain won't get in. Fine dry snow -can- be blown in though if conditions are just right.
    You can leave the windows open an inch or so when driving for extra ventilation and not get rain coming in or much noise as well. Though it is still noisier than when they are closed. In the city this is a "good thing" (tm), as I can hear morons doing dangerous things beside me. ;)

I like to leave my two front windows open that inch or so when parked in the garage to reduce the crud buildup on the inside glass (it ventilates outside). When parked outside the solar fan helps with this.

The Toyota parts were $150 Canadian installed when I bought the car, and the new car Toyota warranty covers them. In fact on Pearl they started to come off. The dealer replaced them no charge. They are stuck on using tape. If you don't degrease properly and use the prep. solution they could come off after a year or two.

9. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Terrific info, David and RaZa. Thank much.

Tell me- how much do they interfere with visibility ?

10. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Not at all. They are at the top of the side windows. I can't even see them most of the time.

11. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Woohoo! Much thanks

12. BethPet

BethPet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the Weathertech window visors. I love them, but they took a bit to get used to. The visors are in my line of vision for my side window mirrors. This may be due to my short height, as I'm only 5' tall. But it was worth the adjustment since the visors keep rain off of my side windows during the rain storms we frequently experience in the snow belt.

Pixel XL ?