1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When was the last Tacoma refresh/redesign?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by markabele, Apr 18, 2013.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know when the last refresh of the Tacoma was? What about the last major redesign?

What kind of schedule does the Tacoma get refreshed at? Is it the same as other Toyota's (4-6 years)?

If we know all the info can we then extrapolate when a newly designed Tacoma might be out?

My hope in all this is to figure out very roughly when we might expect some sort of EV or hybrid Tacoma.

Or better yet, does anyone have any news or rumors from the Toyota/Ford team on their combined research?

Whew, those are a lot of questions, sorry. :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i didn't know they were planning a tacoma ev/hybrid. that sounds cool! can you point us to any links? thanks!

3. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are talks of a joint hybrid truck with collaboration with Ford, no idea when it will be released. Latest facelift on Tacoma was MY 2012. From what I understand, 2014 should be complete redesign.

SPH-D710 ? 2

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The tacoma last had a major redesign in 2005my. The rumors are we won't see the toyota/ford hybrid stuff until a 2016 my truck. The redesign of the tacoma is rumored to be this year as a 2014 model. That doesn't mean we won't see a hybrid 2 years from now.

You could boost mpg from the current model easily by doing what bmw does in their activehybrid 3. Turbo charged di 6 cylinder with a flywheel clutched hybrid motor and lithium battery instead of a V8. I think toyota and ford are working on something more sophisticated though.

markabele likes this.