1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When will it be called madness?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by amped, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 24 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]543592[/snapback]</div>
    They wouldn't be so poor and they'd have enough to eat if they had two children instead of 18.

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How about "back to a billion" as a nice concise slogan to express
    the numbers you're fishing for? How many of us do there *need* to
    be on this rock, anyways? We're not solely responsible for any
    overhyped "miracle of life", there's plenty of it going on without
    our help. In fact it's likely better off without us.
    _H*

3. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's not women who won't have children that bother me, it's women who won't have sex that bother me :wub:

There are plenty of them out there, women who haven't had any in decades, and have no interest whatsover! Yikes!

Harry

4. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    F8L, no worries, mate. I thoroughly enjoy your posts, even if I disagree with your underlying premise.

I've read demographic studies that explain what happens when a nation's birth rate declines below the 'replacement' rate. It isn't a gradual shift, it's sudden, dramatic and accelerating over the course of 2-3 generations as that place becomes a giant geriatric center.

The current 'Exhibit A' is Japan. They're in a dreadful fix with their low birth rate and zero immigration policy. Their one-child unwritten social contract is leading to their demise. Eventually the vacuum will be filled by immigrants who will not assimilate, but instead impose their values upon their hosts. Witness most of Europe having to deal with Sharia Law and homegrown terrorists. I think that's a more immediate concern than a babies 'carbon footprint'.

It's true that it should come down to individual choice. So why should anyone pressure others with social discrimination about their choice to have none, 1 or 10 children?

Well, except the wingnut in the first post. I'm very glad she decided to end her DNA contribution with a smile. /s

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amped @ Nov 24 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]543613[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like you're saying, "If you don't have as many children as you are physically capable of having, you're a wingnut." Personally, I LIKE this planet, thus think people should have as FEW children as possible.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Through all history as the standard of living rises the birthrate falls. We need to raise the standard of living of the rest of the world quickly so that people will choose to limit their numbers, before our numbers get out of hand. Otherwise we will have to start imposing birth limits, or putting expiration dates on birth certificates, lest society collapse and solve the problem another way.

Amped, imagine that tomorrow a cheap drug is invented that keeps the user physically about 20 years old forever. What would the optimum number of children become?

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Nov 24 2007, 12:16 PM) [snapback]543649[/snapback]</div>
    Richard. Please look at how the I =PAT formula works. Impact = Population x Affluence x Technology

It is not a perfect formula but with rising affluence comes greater consumption. So while dropping population numbers would be a good thing, it will not help much if everyone in the world became more affluent without a cooresponding reduction in consumption in other regions. The only modifier here is technology because some technologies are cleaner than others but since those also require resources it becomes very specific and each technology must be considered independently. There are a host of other factors to consider but I would consider I PAT to be the rough controls and things like social values (e.g. empowerment of women) to be be the fine controls.

8. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Nov 24 2007, 03:50 PM) [snapback]543663[/snapback]</div>
    Do you think enough technology will ever be developed such that we could ever get to the impact rate of the indigenous people? I say never.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ 2007 11 24 15:39) [snapback]543704[/snapback]</div>
    Enough technology? I'm not sure I understand your question. Maybe it's my assumptions getting in the way. More and higher technology seems to be increasing society's impact, not lessening it. Given that some indigenous peoples have been here for 10,000 years in a relatively unchanged landscape, their impact would seem comparatively low.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Nov 24 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]543704[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on how you look at it. Given the amount of land required to feed people on a hunter/gatherer level I would say yes. That is, if we went back to their levels of technology and tried to feed 6.6 billion people we would be in serious trouble. So it is our current level of technology that has allowed us to grow this large albeit at an unsustainable level.

Technology could have beneficial effects in lowering our impact (PVs vs coal-fired plants) yet we will never stop at a sustenance level. We will use technology to create more stuff than we need. We will use those PVs to power buildings that create rubber duckies and iPods vs simply powering a home for heat and cooking. We will continue to use technology do do more degradation faster than indigenous people could have ever dreamed of.

The
    [​IMG]

Now
    [​IMG]

So in my honest opinion, I do not think technology is going to eliminate our problems nor will is significantly lower our impact unless we completely change our outlook and lifestyles. We would need to eliminate all superfluous items and figure out how to be happy with less and base every decision on how it will affect the biotic community.

11. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, my SO would look hot in a loincloth.

rs, that pill may not be too far away with recent DNA and cloning discoveries (I intentionally didn't write 'advances'). Optimum number of children is what the parents, or whatever the future may call them, decides until the decision is regulated, naturally or artificially, for them.

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In poor countries where people live hand to mouth and children die from starvation adults will have more children than in wealthier countries where there is social security and lower rates of child mortality.

Why?
    Children are the social security of the poor. When they are old they need children to look after and feed them. If you have few children you will be a greater burden on them in later life than if you have many, many hands make light work.
    If one of your children die you need to replace that child just to survive, to ensure that survival it would be better to have 2 more children, after all another might die so one more may not be enough.
    Education and fair distribution of wealth is the only answer to population growth in poor countries. After all that is the difference between them and us and we breed pretty slowly.
    It is however worth remembering that at this point in time a third world child has a carbon footprint smaller than a western child's carbon toe print so a family of 10 in Somalia has less global impact than a single child or even a childless couple in a first world country.

The greenest thing a Medical practitioner in the west could to is stop treating very sick people and let them die. All those in favour?

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ 2007 11 24 17:28) [snapback]543748[/snapback]</div>
    This is understandably a pretty emotional topic. Many people are choosing this option for themselves, with 'do not resuscitate' orders. We spend a disproportionate share of health care dollars on people in their dying days. I might change my mind when the time comes, but I'm tempted to skip the multiple transplants and go with the morphine. :unsure: