1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When you give up on waiting...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pepa, Nov 19, 2004.

1. ggalanti

ggalanti Junior Member

Bob A wrote: "welcome to the 'almost owners club'... we will expect pictures and a name for your Pruis"

I want to join the club!! Based on the advice I've read in PriusChat (to which I've become mildly addicted!!), I've put orders in at 4 dealers in Los Angeles. I'm fixed on color (red) and option package (#6), so I'm hoping I'll get lucky. I'd sign up with even more dealers, but there's a limit to how many $500 & $1000 deposits I can put down. Does anyone have any idea how easy/difficult to get my desired combo is in Los Angeles?

2. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggalanti\";p=\"51767)</div>
    Ms. ggalanti, you are a true DIEHARD :lol: .. I think if you narrow your search both in color and options.. your wait gets longer...that said.. If you take the time to contact dealers in your area and work hard at it there is an orphan with your name on it somewhere...

I guess if it was me looking I'd contact Diane at Carson Toyota (she is here on priuschat as well).. check with the small towns as they seem to get cars when the big dealers have long lists...

I'm originally from the BIG city of Buellton..no Toyota dealer there.. and think that LA is From Thousand Oaks to San Clemente...haha not sure where in that area you are..

I see dealers who come on the yahoo groups and on eBay as well, offering cars.. they usually have a name of a salesman.. I'd sure drop a dime and see what else they might have... maybe the dealers have a network and can search what is on the boat heading to the area..

last a yahoo club site to look at... good, bad and ugly dealers..

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Prius-...portRows&tbl=18

hope these ideas help

Bob Andersen

3. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pepa\";p=\"51751)</div>
    Yay!

I second the comment about the car not being a true green. It's more of a green-gray (it's the color I have), my roommate describes it as "gun-metal gray." Depending on the lighting, you can see more of the greenish hues. I think it's a beautiful color. The silvers I've seen look great when they're clean, but when they get dirty they start looking kind of dull. So don't be too disappointed you didn't get your first choice in color. Hopefully you'll be pleased. And it's great that you found a dealership that didn't try to charge you markups. Congrats!

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    WTG PEPA!!!!

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggalanti\";p=\"51767)</div>
    I waited eleven months for my Salsa Red BC. I turned down a black one at the eight months mark. I worked with a broker who had connections at numerous dealerships. My car was a bonus car and came from a different dealer than the one where my original order was placed.

If you want instant gratification, check bcool's post.

6. pepa

pepa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(betshsu\";p=\"51792)</div>
    I wanted the silver for one simple reason - the vehicle doesn't get so hot in summer and so the A/C can stay off longer. However, green would be my second choice anyway, I like green - that's one of the reasons I'm getting Prius :)

I looked up the color, it is nice. I'll like it.

Thanks everyone for kind words, I'll definitely post the pictures next month. By the way - what are these points? I didn't get chance to get as familiar as I should be with this Forum I guess...

Thanks.

7. pepa

pepa New Member

By the way - I forgot again - the second dealer who called me was Autohaus on Eden. Phone number 847-272-7900. Give them a try if you live in the Chicagoland area.

I didn't get any details but they wouldn't call me if they didn't have something.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ummm pepa... i ordered the tidelands because it was green... in reality, its basically gray.

9. chris

chris New Member

I live out of Great Falls, Montana. At the end of last month I stopped at the Toyota dealer and asked for a brochure on the Prius, but they were out and didn"t have one to test drive,but they thought the local Enterprise rental had one. They did give me a list of the packages available and asked if I wanted to put my name on the waiting list. There were 12 ahead of me, but I declined as I really needed to drive the car or at least see one, as I had never seen one in town. I was in luck. The rental company had one, so I rented one for a week. This happened to be on a Friday. That evening I filled out a silly pop-up ad on my computer asking if I was looking for a car. I answered yes and put done Prius. The following Tuesday I had a call from the Toyota dealer in Helena, Montana telling me that he had a 2005 Silver Prius with Package #9 and that the people who ordered it had backed out and would I be interested. He wanted to know by the following day. I thought it over and drove it home Wednesday. I started asking on Friday and had a new car by Wednesday. I never buy things on impulse and wasn't sure I wanted the #9package. I am sure glad that I bought it and I really like the navigation,although I really don't need it. I am a little concerned about the first time I take the car into the dealer in Great Falls,Mt. instead of Helena as the Toyota sales manager in Great Falls went to high school with me in a small town where there was only 75 people in the highschool. We have known each other all our lives, but this opportunity to buy came out of the blue. Helena is about 150 miles away, so I will use Great Falls as my primary dealership. I do feel a little guilty for not buying from them. What was even stranger was the internet sales dealer at Helena Motors called four days after I bought my car and asked if I knew anyone else who was interested in a new Prius as he had another one with option #4. I don't understand the waiting list in Great Falls, Mt. and the Helena dealership having two new Prius's to sell in just a week.This is probably too long.

10. pepa

pepa New Member

Gentlemen,

today I received The Call: I don't have to wait till Dec. 10th - the vehicle will be available on Tuesday morning! Wow!

Again, thank you all for the advice!!

I have one question, though. What dealership add-ons should I expect to be offered (such as the additional undercarriage protection I got offered on new vehicle before)? Which of these are unnecessary, and which should I accept? Note that I live in Northern Illinois where there is more salt than snow on the roads sometimes...

Is the standard undercarriage protection sufficient? How about other options?

Thank you for your advice.

PS: I'm getting the Tideland Perl, option #4. I'm getting the vehicle this soon because someone changed his mind.

However, the one I was waiting for to be delivered on December 10th is right now likely to be available (the exactly same vehicle)! If you live in the area and like to check this out, call Hiland Toyota, Moline IL

11. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wait time is only going to be 3 weeks from order to purchase.. however I've been waiting 14 months just to get my dad to order it

I'm getting mine at Dan Hecht Chevrolet and Toyota in Effingham, IL