1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where are bug fixes for the Navigation system

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Craig Parmerlee, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Craig Parmerlee

Craig Parmerlee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a Prius v with the technology package purchased about April 2012. Generally it works pretty well, but there are some obvious and annoying bugs, for example:
    • If you navigate for points of interest along route (e.g. restaurants along route) it never comes back with anything, even when I am navigating a route. The only thing that works is "near here".
    • The XM fuel prices function is nice. It does a good job of displaying the current prices, but it also shows an arrow that is supposed to be pointing in the direction of the station. This doesn't seem to work at all. I can't see any rhyme or reason to the arrows. That makes the function completely worthless because the only way to find out if a station is ahead of you is to tell the system to navigate to that station. Then you find it is 5 miles behind you, and you have to start the whole &&^$%%^$ process over again.
    • The XM weather display is really lame. I practically have to be in the center of a tornado to see anything displayed on the screen.
    There are more bugs but these are the ones that annoy me the most. I have just spent over an hour talking with the dealership and Toyota customer care to try to find out if they are going to fix these bugs. All I could find out is that there is a part# for a map update for about $160, but that part is on "stop sale" so evidently I can't even update the maps at this point.

I don't want to update the maps. All I want is for this $5000 technology package to work half as well as the system I had on my Ford Flex before I bought the Prius.

Other than this, I love the vehicle, but this is annoying enough I would recommend the Ford C-Max to anybody that asks. Ford seems to get the concept that when you charge a bunch for technology, you really need to make it work.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Are you on the 2.1.0 version of entune or the older 1.8.4 version?

3. Craig Parmerlee

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know. How can I tell?

I did navigate through the setup menu and found a screen that was for software updates. It says:

Navigation V6673140

Bluetooth 2.1.200

4. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry to say but nothing you mentioned are bugs. All by design it seems.

On route POI's are exactly that, on route. No real corridor search it seems.
    XM weather is warning boxes only, no radar.

5. Craig Parmerlee

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm sorry, a non-functional "along the route" is not working-as-designed.
    A non-functional pointer to the fuel stations is not working-as-designed.

Maybe XM Weather is a just a crappy service. I can tell you the Ford Flex system was 1000 times better than this on all three points. Now that Ford is shipping their plug-in C-Max, I am thinking about dumping the Prius and getting a product that is supported. I did have some issues early on with the tech features on an Explorer. When I called Ford, they were extremely responsive. They understand why crappy software is not acceptable. And they told me exactly what they were planning to do to fix that -- and that is exactly what they did.

I am not very impressed with Toyota's grasp of this whole technology thing. The parking assist is gee-whiz, but to really park accurately, you have to go through a complex procedure that takes 5 times longer than just parking it manually.

6. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    They're both functional, it's just that they aren't implemented in the best fashion. Have you used the "updated" MyFord software? It's just as terrible as the last one. There's still reports of people having to pull the fuse to fix their system. Maybe the 3.5 software will fix some more things, but I'll believe it when I see it.

7. Craig Parmerlee

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I don't mean to be argumentative, but a gas price function that points in random directions, and takes another 5 commands to find out where the $%^# the gas station is, is not functional. It is dangerous. It should not be used.

And a system that has "along the route" as a search option but cannot ever, under any circumstances, show any points of interest along the route is not "poorly implemented. it is BROKEN, period.

Regarding the Ford software, I worked with a fleet of several thousand vehicles at the time. The Flex stuff was great on every model. The early version of the "improved" system on the Explorer was trash (Thank you Microsoft). They put out a major upgrade that was distributes in January 2012. I did not personally use an Explorer after the update, but I never heard of further problems after that fix was applied. Prior to the fix, it definitely was necessary to disconnect the battery sometimes to reset the system. Sometimes you couldn't even use the radio until resetting.

But the point is that Ford acknowledged the problem and they told us what they were doing to fix it, and then they delivered what they said. Toyota seems to not have a clue about software.

8. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No worries, I'm doing a little "Devil's advocate". For the along route, it works, but the POI has to literally be on the route, not 10 feet down a side street or farther. It must touch the route to show up. That's what I've found.

9. Craig Parmerlee

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. I haven't seen such a result, and I can't offhand think of any point of interest that would be exactly on the route, unless maybe it is a famous bridge or something. Obviously the things people would expect to see "along the route" are hotels, gas stations, restaurants, etc.

As a software developer, I will stipulate this is a non-trivial bit of programming. It would take a good developer 6-8 hours to have a working model of the algorithm, and maybe a week or two to optimize it so that it performs in real time.

I would have thought Toyota might manage to get around to that by now.

10. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    LOL, AVN is made by Denso; Japan isn't exactly cheap today. Yen is very strong today.
    The development maybe offshore to some cheaper country. if the developers don't drive they don't see anything wrong with algorithm.

I suggest u call up Toyota's service line and complain about that. Get more ppl to complain and they might provide a fix such issue.

11. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have to sympathize and largely agree with Craig and his complaints about usability. Although I haven't encountered his precise problems, I can't help wondering why so many companies, including enormous ones, make such stupid decisions with software and other user interface implementations. Speaking as a product designer, I know that people testing their own products get too close to them and are so used to their infelicities that they often don't recognize how bad certain functions are. It is vitally important to let people uninvolved with your product test it comprehensively, and take their complaints into account. OTOH, outsiders often make the mistake of suggesting a "simple" change that will require person-years to implement in software or cost a fortune in hardware.

Somebody has to arbitrate these issues, and I on occasion have volunteered, to no avail. For a trivial (and somewhat idiotic) example of a no-cost, no-impact (and, to be sure, low value) change, consider the dashboard gauges on the Ford Escape Hybrid. The gas gauge shows E/F in big, easily readable letters. The charge/discharge indicator is labeled in mice type, almost as if Ford is being charged for ink by the molecule. Of course the designer knows what it says already, so he doesn't bother trying to actually read it! (For more fun at Ford's expense, see RIKLBLOG - RIKL REVIEW - Ford Escape Hybrid Navigation and Entertainment Display )

I imagine, getting back to the Prius, that the software designers were very, very careful to make sure that the map was accurate and depicted the correct information. But did they ever test the display while driving in the car to make sure the driver could actually read it? Not my job, Dude, hence the deplorable state of the nav display in the base PiP that I whine about every time I drive. Likewise, on another current thread, the complaint that the cruise control won't work below 25 or maybe 28 mph. The design of the software works fine. But somebody who never tried to drive in a school zone or through a known speed trap put in the lower limit. And, of course, don't get me started on the stuff that does or doesn't work when the car is <shudder>actually moving</shudder>.

Richard

Zephyr7, Chazz8 and ftl like this.
  12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would look for a totaled 2010, and get the GPS from it, (junkyard or ebay, as examples) A local stereo place should be able to install it.

It has two parts, the head unit and the DVD drive under the seat.

prius gps in eBay Motors | eBay

13. veni

veni New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    we have had our car almost 3 weeks. Sales person never calls us back and gps only worked the first time and not since. Is it possible to get help from someone?????????????

14. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No offense. Have you read the manual?