1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where are links as what to look for when buying used (private) Gen 2?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gemniii, May 7, 2016.

1. gemniii

gemniii New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm probably going to buy a used Gen 2.

I've been buying used cars off and on since 1967, so I know about check the brakes, etc.

But I don't know diddly YET about things like traction batteries or Prius inverters.

I tried searching here but could not find a thread pointing out specific things to check that are failure points on the Gen 2.

Hopefully next week I'll be looking at a 2004 w/ 44K and a 2005 w/ 84K.

This car will probably be replacing a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid and one of the features why I want a Prius is it's ease to be used as a backup 3KW generator.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! not sure there is one in particular, but i know the question has been asked many times. check the gen 2 stickies. all the best with your purchase!(y)

edit: i just searched; 'what to look for when buying a used prius', and came up with 3 hits. you have to try a lot of different key words, search engine is weak. you might even try google.

there are so many different things that can go wrong with a prius, you do want to be careful.

how old and how many miles?besides the battery, which has an 8 year/ 100,000 mile warranty, when miles start climbing above 100k there are many potential issues that can crop up, however infrequent.it's important to get 2 key fobs, or be prepared to go through some hassle and at least $100.

the mfd is prone to going dark and needing repair/replacement.
    the a/c is electric and a costly repair.
    the brake actuator is a costly repair.
    the gas tank bladder can be an issue.
    the 12 volt battery is expensive.
    you want to check for signs of rodent infestation.
    throttle body/maf may need service.
    injectors can be troublesome.
    inverter can let you down.
    transaxle may fail.all that being said, many gen 2's are happily running along with no major problems.one thing i like to do is reset the mpg gauge and take it for a good long test drive under varied conditions. observe the battery meter for odd movements, and see what mpg's you get at the end of the ride. they are a good indicator of overall health.

3. gemniii

gemniii New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From the threads I've read here so far they seemed to be very low maintenance, what "goes wrong"?

Thanks.
    I just read about a brake actuator repair. !'ll research the others.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

5. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The miles are low, but you are buying a 10+ year old car. All plastics such as CV boots, hoses, belt, and even wiring are suspect. Know to that the Prius has all the hybrid components plus an unusually complex brake system. If you need to go this old check out a Corolla.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    also, low miles on a 10 year old battery can be a bad thing.

and you can't pull 3 kw out of prius without a direct hybrid battery connection, which is fairly costly or difficult.

7. gemniii

gemniii New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't see why not. fourteen hundred bucks isn't half bad compared to a 3kw generator.