1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where are Rev. Sharpton & Rev. Jackson?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bigmahma, May 17, 2007.

1. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigmahma @ May 20 2007, 07:12 PM) [snapback]446335[/snapback]</div>
    Your wish is granted. You're wrong.

According to you, Al and Jesse need to get on the case of a guy who stole cocaine and then was tortured by the drug dealers as payback?

If it has merits as a hate crime, it would be charged as such. Since the motive for torturing the victim is that he stole cocaine, it hardly seems likely that will be the case.

There is no disputing what anyone said by the way, as the whole thing is on videotape.

"Please don't kill me Carl," the victim begs. "I'll do whatever it takes to make it right." In the video, the victim has a wound to his chest, a battered face, and what appears to be blood on his arms as he sits in the cramped basement of the small home.

So your latest example is a drug deal gone bad, among people who know each other. Other than telling us that people on drugs are inordinately violent and stupid, it doesn't seem to contain much of a larger issue.

And if you're still scratching your head as to why the revolting case you started this thread with hasn't gotten bigger coverage, you should check out its entry on Snopes.

2. roryjr

roryjr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 20 2007, 12:25 PM) [snapback]446143[/snapback]</div>
    On the slavery, I don't think you actually comprehended what I was saying.

Not everyone in Africa lives in a jungle. True. The ones that were made slaves did.

The teams. Did you miss that part about learning as a child to ignore insults? When you respond, you let them know that they got to you and give them power. I did not want to say this. I am Indian. My whole family has rooted for the Redskins all our life. My cousin was a huge Redskin fan. When he got onto the tribal counsel, all of a sudden he was insulted. There's your victim mentality. Gotta play the victim to get more federal money.

By the us in your post, I assume you are white. That means you are feeling that special "white guilt". Please let it go. Another byproduct of the victim leaders. Oh and my wife is black and she forgives you, too.

Why do people have to be enlightened about injustice? Children already have a built in sense about right and wrong. Adults teach them all the wrong they need with the victim mentality and other things.

3. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [attachmentid=8184]

Attached Files:

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ May 20 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]446365[/snapback]</div>
    I'm seeing a pattern with these sorts of liberal-bashing posts: They pick up on a polemical email that some Limbaugh-minded person sends out over the internet and post it here without attribution as though it was their own idea. The email is based on either an urban legend or an intentional misconstruction of the issue. And then they make an unjustified and slanderous assertion against liberals.

In this case, there is the title question: "Why aren't Sharpton and Jackson outraged over this?" and the misconstruction lies in ignoring the fact that there are so many horrible murders in our country that neither they nor the press can report on all of them. Then there is a leap to the slander, in the gratuitous assertion that liberals don't care about Black-on-White violence. Then, rather than try to justify the assertion, they rant about what animals the perpetrators are, with a side-dish of reminder that these are Black, and then the secondary false and slanderous and racist assertion that Blacks in general are more violent and by implication less human than Whites.

In the end it is a carefull-constructed racist diatribe, which typically gets presented here as though the poster was merely expressing his opinion, rather than repeating Limbaughian drivel.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Daniel, that's because neocons aren't allowed to think for themselves. They MUST parrot the political opinion that Rush, Bill, et al say is Correct, no matter how reality-violating said opinion is.

That's the difference between Democrats and Republicans. Usually, if you ask 10 Democrats an opinion on something, you'll hear 10 different answers (11 if one of the Democrats is Hillary Clinton). If you ask 10 Republicans, you'll only hear one answer repeated 10 times.

Which is why I'm really looking forward to next year's election - the current administration is so inept, even Republicans are trying to distance themselves from it, even if it means the unheard-of act of thinking for themselves.

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roryjr @ May 21 2007, 12:48 AM) [snapback]446459[/snapback]</div>
    I did, and perhaps I took your comment, “While slavery was indeed a horrid thing, it was actually a blessing to black people todayâ€, out of context. I did not mean to suggest that you were condoning or defending slavery. But the remark was too outrageous to just let pass- it reminded me of when Barbara Bush, speaking about the evacuees from Hurricane Katrina, said, “And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them.â€

It may well be that if you compare an American descendent of African slaves today with what his situation would be if you could magically go back in time and prevent his ancestors from having been brought to America, he would be better off here. But that does not change the fact that slavery was a brutal and immoral practice, and a despicable chapter in our history

So you are an American Indian and you do not at all mind the use of Indian names, mascots, etc. for sports teams. Fine. Then you must know that you are not a representative voice for the entire Native American community, many of whom are very much offended by this practice and have called for it to be stopped.

I do not think it is a good thing for members of any group to play the “victim mentality.†However, it has long been a practice in our culture to use derogatory stereotypical images to represent any group other than the White Anglo-Saxon Protestant founders of this country. Before Native Americans, it was blacks; in the 19th century, it was the Italians and Irish. We should at least recognize that these images are not amusing or harmless, but offensive to the subject of the imagery. Go see “Song of the South†for examples; I understand that Disney is re-releasing it due to popular demand.

Why would you assume that I am white if you are Native America and your wife is black? In any event, I do not have any guilt; well, not for being white, anyway. And thank your wife for her forgiveness but it is unnecessary.

Well, we could write volumes about that, couldn’t we?

7. roryjr

roryjr Member

I'm out. This thread has gone way out there. I know I helped it, but I'm tired of it. I love all you guys and I'll see you in the next thread.

8. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just one last update...

The most sickening details in the email that started this thread are, surprise surprise, false. Similarly, the police see it as a crime of opportunity, not a hate crime:
    From May 18, 2007: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070518/ap_on_...layings_media_1

Some Internet postings have suggested the killings should be treated as a hate crime. But Police Chief Sterling Owen said: "We have no evidence to support the notion that this was a race-based crime. We see this as a cold-blooded murder."

Similarly, claims made over the Internet that the couple were sexually mutilated are "absolutely not true," John Gill, special assistant to District Attorney Randy Nichols, said Friday.

9. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ May 17 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]444185[/snapback]</div>
    My guess is that the OP posted this so that the crime would get A LOT OF ATTENTION. Which is exactly what it doesn't need right now, because where on earth would you find 12 jurors plus several alternates that haven't heard about this and yet expect people to be fair when it comes down to making a decision by a non-biased jury? YOU CAN"T.

So in this instance, making it PUBLIC OR NEWSWORTHY just further hurts the case and puts it in favor for the perputrators just like it did for another case several years back.

Sorry, but that's exactly how I feel. Dear Lord, I just hope that this case doesn't drag out for over a year, and that justice is done.

Sorry, camguy, but I served on jury duty a number of years ago and there were 98 counts. He was convicted on 96. We were sequestered for 3 days and nights before bringing everything to a conclusion. We were 6 weeks in the courtroom with a legal pad full of notes and I can't tell you how many expert witnesses there were. Done my time, and never again. The system worked then but I can't figure for the life of me why it didn't several years ago for that one that took over a year to bring to a conclusion. I believe that there was a lot of hanky panky going on in that case if I do say so myself.

10. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loveit @ May 22 2007, 11:24 PM) [snapback]447812[/snapback]</div>
    Some comedian (sorry, drawing a blank) made the comment that he wouldn't want his life in the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty. ;)

11. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ May 22 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]447819[/snapback]</div>
    You don't know what you are talking about. It's obvious you never served on jury duty.

12. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loveit @ May 23 2007, 12:07 AM) [snapback]447834[/snapback]</div>
    Wrong on both counts.
    And, very slowly this time...it....was....a.....joke (kind of thought mentioning that this was a comedian's statement was a clue, but apparently, I am in error) :blink:

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ May 22 2007, 08:39 PM) [snapback]447819[/snapback]</div>
    Mark Twain, after describing how anybody who had read about a particular case in the newspaper was excluded from a jury, had a comment about 12 jurors who never read the newspaper.

The jury system does provide some level of protection against excessive governmental power. But on the other hand, it has protected some very nasty murderers, when the jurors were unwilling to convict a White man for murdering Black people.

14. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ May 22 2007, 11:18 PM) [snapback]447841[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, ZenCruiser about being snippety. But after having gone through that type of jury duty and seeing how it actually works really made my confidence in the system soar.

But when I watched a former football player get away with murder that was another story of how the system was suppose to work and didn't, I was shocked.

Now a days, those that commit crimes are treated better than the victims.

By the way, the guy was white on the jury duty which I served. I just want justice to be served appropiately but nothing is for sure these days.

I am out of here!