1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where Can I Find a Reliable Diagnostic Tool?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PriusPersonThing, Aug 13, 2022.

1. PriusPersonThing

PriusPersonThing New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As I said in the title, I need to find a diagnostic tool that will show me the correct codes. My brother who's a mechanic (but can't stand hybrids) said I need to find a tool that will display the factory diagnostic codes for my Prius. My ABS light, brake light, slip indicator, and brake system warning light are on and solid (not blinking). If any of you know of a good diagnostic tool for a 2013 Prius, please let me know.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The thread by @mr_guy_mann over in the Gen 2 forum might be a good start, though (as the title suggests) he probably hasn't specifically tested those on Gen 3 cars.

Meanwhile, though, while you take your time selecting a good diagnostic tool for later, you are in luck. You have warning lights from the brake system, and in Gen 3, the brake system can blink its trouble codes on the dash lights so you can get those codes just by counting blinks. So there is no need for you to wait to select a nice scan tool before you get your brake codes to start solving this problem.

If you search for posts containing, say, Tc CG blink codes, you should find good explanations on how to get those codes.

What did a hybrid ever do to your brother?

3. PriusPersonThing

PriusPersonThing New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is embarrassing, but I can't find any posts related to activating the blink lights in a gen 3 Prius.

Absolutely nothing. He's a big fan of high performance sports cars and muscle cars, and he thinks hybrids are "boring". He's done engine programming for Dodge Vipers and such. For the last decade, he's been working for Porsche Motor Sports, rebuilding/reworking old racing engines. I think working on a hybrid might remind him that electric motors are becoming a thing now, which threatens his career. So that might have something to do with it.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No different in Gen 3 than the other gens. A simple search works.

5. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can get a hacked never expiring version of techstream on eBay. Look for “mini VCI”.