1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where can I find this tool?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by George W, Feb 29, 2020.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    absolutely, thanks. i wonder if there is a way to catch things before it is too late.

2. George W

George W Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Likely the best early warning is your memory. You know how long the charge lasted when the battery was new. Once you notice a reduction, might be time to recondition. The case was not hard to remove, only 1 screw has the potting compound over the screw.

bisco likes this.
  3. George W

George W Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For Bisco. Break down of 40V pack

40V teardown.jpg 40V teardown 1.jpg 40V teardown 2.jpg 40V teardown 3.jpg

The age of this product is from the 18th week of 2013, so would be Late April of 2013. The 40V case has 6 of the tamper-proof screws, 4 obvious and 2 hiding under the name sticker. Next, remove another adhesive sticker covering the Level-indicator. After that it cracks open easily to reveal the 20-cell pack shown.

At this point, I can get test leads on the ends of the cells. For purposes of reconditioning, there is no further need to dis-assemble. The trick is to determine how the cells are cross-connected.

They interconnect as follows:

2 cells
    4 cells
    6 cells
    8 cells
    10 cells

Between the 20 total cells, the voltages being measured will be a combination of those cross-connects. .

8 V
    16 V
    24 V
    32 V
    40 V

If you look closer at the last image you will see that the Charger is set for 6 Li cells, and discharging downward from 24V. Since the cells overlap in their cross-connect, you will ultimately need to 'leapfrog' the charging points so that you don't exceed 6 cells (the Maximum number that this Charger can accommodate).

By systematically over-lapping with the Imax B6AC Charger, you can be assured of getting each individual cell through a full Discharge/Charge cycle (some of the cells would receive more).

Earlier I wrote that this 40V pack was stopping under heavy load. I don't know if my conditioning has helped with this, but I did have one pair of cells which were 'not detected' after initial Discharge. After applying a trick to get them recognized again, subsequent cycles have not duplicated this 'not detected' condition again. Keeping my fingers crossed there.

Unfortunately, due to Corona Virus scare, I am not able to get to my 40V tools at this time, so no final result to share at this time.

Bisco, hope this helps.

#23 George W, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks. if this ends up working, i may try it on my 18v batteries that are exhibiting the same symptom, rather than recycling them.