1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where can I get a negative terminal clamp and ground cable for my 12v battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wbs887700, Feb 11, 2021.

1. wbs887700

wbs887700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The negative terminal clamp on the 12 volt battery has a little tiny ground cable connected to it. Where can I get a new one? Or any clamp? I looked on eBay and Amazon and I'm not sure what to look for. I know the terminals are smaller than a regular 12 volt battery. Is there a certain gauge? What gauge are the terminals?

can I just use any ground cable? I would prefer to order a clamp with a tiny ground cable just like it already has, but I can't find one. And I'll just go ahead and replace the positive terminal clamp also while I'm at it KIMG1219~2.JPG

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow... that 12v ground has lived a wild life!

Shocking!

You can get a replacement for these in the RV / 12v battery section of any major dept. store...

Auto parts stores sell them too, but the price is way higher.

wbs887700 likes this.
  3. wbs887700

wbs887700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Okay thanks, so you're saying I could get one of these at O'Reilly's or advance Auto parts?

Also, why do you think it looks so rough? The reason I want to replace it is becausemy Prius won't start sometimes and I'm thinking it's because the ground cable is a little bit rusted

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For starters, the original mounting bolt to chassis is sheared off, so at some point it was loose and the person dealing with it likely got the threads crossed and then the bolt broke off. All the while the connection was so loose that it was throwing sparks every time it became connected and disconnected which is why you see all that burning around the old bolt.

Then at some point someone used a random screw to create a new ground to chassis, which finally solved the problem, but the main issue is that not only do you have an ancient 12v battery and in times of Covid with so much less driving it (needs to be kept charged) that is likely your problem but also whoever dealt with these problems managed to damage the cable a bit.

Let me know when you're ready to replace the 12v and myself and others will argue about your options for you. In the meantime buy a battery charger and replace that cable and also replace that screw with a more burly bolt. Though I suspect the condition of the cable is not the problem so that's a lower priority than charging or replacing 12v.

wbs887700 likes this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Attached Files:

#5 rjparker, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  6. wbs887700

wbs887700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    That's funny. I'm actually the one that used the random screw lol. Basically, for the past few days, I've been having to jump start my Prius because it won't start for some reason. So finally I decided to do a thorough inspection of the battery compartment and I found that the entire little cubby that the battery sits in was filled with water.

So after lots of research, I read that there was a drain plug under where the battery is and I drained all the water out, it must have been an entire gallon of water. This is a common problem with the 2nd gen Prius from what I read, because there are hairline fractures near the hinges of the hatchback where the water leaks in, you probably know this.

Anyway, I tried to unscrew the ground bolt and it just snapped off because it was so rusted. I'm guessing it's rusted because all that water has been sloshing around for I don't know how long. Also, I have a power inverter connected to the 12 volt battery and the negative cable is connected to the same chassis bolt, and it was all rusted also.

My power inverter has been shutting on and off when I run my microwave with it for the past few days also... do you think that's because the cable was rusted on the end?. I've been using a microwave and other electronics with my power inverter with my Prius in ready mode for the past 6 months and this has never happened. I converted my Prius into a camper.

If I get a cheaper alternative to a 12 volt battery, like the wheelchair batteries that I keep reading about people using, can I still hook up my 1500 watt pure sine wave power inverter to it and run electronics like my 700 watt microwave? I really don't want to buy a new battery until I absolutely have to, mainly because I need the money for other things right now.

7. wbs887700

wbs887700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Do you think that all that water is the reason why my Prius hasn't been starting for the past few days? What kind of damage do you think it did?

8. wbs887700

wbs887700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thank you, I couldn't find that on eBay for some reason. I'm going to order it now I think oh, does it look like I need one based on the picture?

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Water is not the issue, though in your part of the country rust definitely is the issue... As for replacing your 12v once you can't keep it going by constantly charging it when car is not in use I recommend this one: 12 Volt (12V) 55 Amp (55Ah) VRLA AGM Sealed Lead Acid Battery 55 AMPS HIGH CAP | eBay You'll also need to buy these bolts and two washers for each bolt that are slightly larger than both terminals to sandwich the terminals in between:

PXL_20210209_231231938.jpg

wbs887700 likes this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow looks like a crime scene back there.

wbs887700 likes this.
  11. wbs887700

wbs887700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Okay thanks. So I can still run electronics using my 1500 watt inverter with this battery? And does it fit in the same cubby hole? Does it bolt down the same way the OEM battery does?

Also, do you have a picture of what you're talkin about? Like, do you have a picture of a battery like this being used with everything connected to the positive and negative terminals?

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh so that other new looking ground lead is the inverter. Don’t do that just affix the battery battery ground lead by itself should be bolted down using a bolt not a big self tapscrew that will not last. Should be able to tug on it hard when done and not move in the slightest.

Find another chassis ground spot for your inverter. Plent of bolts in the back hatch area.

wbs887700 likes this.
  13. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think he is suggesting you buy an agm that has different terminals than factory. You would have to buy bolts and washers and try to rig the existing cables on the different battery terminals.

On the terminal below it would be big washer, battery cable, washer and then bolt. My preference would be a Toyota battery for $100 more if you shop around at the dealers and ask for a discount.

D446966B-4CD1-4150-A3A6-223870C1E7C5.jpeg

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, but consider 1500 as peak watts and keep constant draw under 1100w.

And yes it fits in the same hole but it's slightly taller so you can do one of these to make it fit: 1) remove the bottom mount from the previous battery, 2) Put metal battery hold down bar in a vise and rebend it so it's slightly taller, or 3) Use a longer bolt to mount the hold down bar.

I've done #1, #2 often. Haven't done #3 yet, but soon.

As for pics, it just looks like any other battery and I can take a pic later but right now I have to go shovel snow so I still have access before next snow comes in 'because Prius no like the snow and our city only gets legit snow every 2-5 years. But if you want me to take a pic of how it looks I can do that if it helps people learn.

And grateful for you spending time doing research before you posted. That's much appreciated/speeds things up... You'll figure this one out... It's easier than most.

wbs887700 and SFO like this.
  15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you look at my picture there's a bolt right next to the original ground bolt. You can ground it there.
    Sand down the chassis mating area under that bolt so the lug makes good clean metal chassis contact.
    Grease up that mating connection and the bolt the lug and the terminal and bolt it up. See my picture. All the red stuff is synthetic bearing grease. Grease it up.

No corrosion back there. Ever.

Find another place to attach the inverter ground lead lots of bolts in the hatch to bolt it too. The battery ground lead is primary connection. Nothing but it and the chassis must be solid and conductive to chassis.

Before ever touching anything on that 12 volt battery remove the 2 black wires that are plugged into the top battery assy. One is thick the other is thin. They are plugged in on white plugs with locking tabs. Push the locking tab down with small screwdriver and gently pull out. When removed the 12 volt battery is disconnected form the car. Now you can maul that area all day and no sparks.

The thick black wire is the main B+ lead that goes to the front jump point under the hood. The thin black wire is 12 volt sensing for the inverter. Be extra careful back there with the 12 volt its easy to blow up the inverter by doing something stupid with the 12 volt rail we see many of those on this site.
    Respect the 12 volt rail in this car. It does not like shenanigan's and you have exceeded the shenanigans limit.

Attached Files:

#15 edthefox5, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    wbs887700 likes this.
  16. wbs887700

wbs887700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hey thank you guys, I think I'm going to wait on the 12-volt battery because now that I made a new ground and drained all the water out of that little cubby, my Prius is starting. After about 3 hours of my Prius being turned off, my 12 volt battery read 12.77 volts, I think that's good. I will keep that battery in mind for sure though for when I do need one.

I don't have any sandpaper. What grit sandpaper should I get to sand the chassis? Also, should I sand the bolt? The bolt is painted, does that matter? There are bolts everywhere but I figured they wouldn't make a clean connection because all the bolts are painted.

17. wbs887700

wbs887700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Will now my Prius isn't starting again. I don't know what the problem is. I feel like maybe I need to do a whole new ground? When I bought this Prius 5 months ago, the guy told me it was a new 12 volt battery

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That may be the twelve thousandth time I have heard "the guy told me" on this site. Who believes anything a guy is telling you trying to sell you a car? In fact anything a guy tells me I think ok I have to check that first.

Sand down the area where the battery ground tab will touch.

Don't bother measuring anything at the battery always measure at the front jump point to ground. That way you test the battery and its 8 different connections and the long cable it has to get through to get to the front fuse box all at the same time. It does not matter what the battery reads right at the battery it only matters what it reads when it gets to where its going to do some some work.

Measure the 12 at the front jump point Then turn on the headlights with the car OFF and measure it again. See how bad a voltage drop it has that will tell you the quality of the battery charge. It already incurs a .5 volt drop across the long cable and the 8 different connections in the hatch.

acceleraptor likes this.
  19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I explained the problem... And 12.7volts after the car was used only 3 hours earlier means battery is at the end of its life. Either get a charger for it, or get a new battery. Not sure why you think you can get by without doing either because obviously due to your car not starting, you can't.

edthefox5 likes this.
  20. wbs887700

wbs887700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I didn't get a .5 voltage drop on the front jump point. It was the exact same voltage as measuring it directly from the battery