1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

where do get a spare tire? other solutions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by benk33, Sep 15, 2015.

1. benk33

benk33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a deal with Discount Tire where if I get a flat they will replace/repair the tire for free and then I just have to pay $11 to get another certificate/warranty for the one they replace/repair (I think). They would also reimburse me if I did it at another shop. So I basically just need a solution that if I get a flat tire I would be able to drive to the nearest place that could do something like that.

What is the best solution for the 2008 Toyota Prius and where could I get it? What would the cost be?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should already have a spare tire in your hatch

3. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Call a local salvage yard or go to car-parts.com and look them up there. Should be plenty, I'm assuming that spare fits other Toyota models like the Corolla and other smaller Toyota cars.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 to what JC said.

You both should check under the storage tray in the back, or consult your owner's manual.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, as asked and brought to light, you SHOULD already have a spare tire in your hatch.
    Do you?
    If you do, and haven't been aware of it? Be sure to check the condition and PSI. No good to have a spare, that isn't any good when you need it.
    Assuming you have a spare, in good usable condition? Problem solved.

6. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've checked under there and there is a spare (that I've used a few times. :) ) He asked where he could get one, so I'm assuming he didn't have one (maybe got it used and for some reason the spare wasn't there?) I was giving him a little credit, assuming he has already looked and didn't have one in the usual place most cars keep their spares.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave, I appreciate where you are coming from, but I tend to shy away from assumptions and would rather have the OP check to see if there is already a spare than send him off to buy one and then find later he already had one.

The OP's post came across as he was not aware the Gen II prius had a spare, rather than the spare was missing and where could he get a replacement.

8. benk33

benk33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your help guys. Sorry I haven't responded yet. Yeah, I got it used and there is no more spare under the tray in the back.

So if I could get a cheap one that would fit in there that would be the best. I found for about $100 on eBay but wondering if there is a better option.

Thanks for the tip about car-parts.com. Are there other options as well?

9. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you have the jack (sits in the carrier), lug wrench, jack handle (those sits in the bottom off the storage box), carrier for jack (sits in the center off spare wheel), and the bolt for carrier and spare wheel? If not you need to get all those. Spare wheel is useless if you can not get it on. Maybe you can get the deal on all the stuff you need from junkyard.

10. benk33

benk33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have any of it so I will need to get all of that stuff. I do have another question though...how do I know what size wheel to get (I see different sizes 15" and 16" and am not sure which one goes for the 2008 Prius)?

Thanks!
    Ben

11. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One place not to go is the Discount Tire / America's Tire store you started this thread with. I was there today and they quoted me $189 for the Prius spare. $199 for the spare on the '03 Echo. The Echo spare is still the original, now flat with cracked rubber. I haven't actually looked at the Prius spare and my wife has that car today. I think the original spare is in it, though, so I just priced spares for both cars.

At least the Echo will handle a full size tire in the spare spot under the trunk floor without giving up much trunk space. I'll just find a cheap rim and put a cheap tire on it.

I'll watch this thread and check the suggestions for the Prius. Thanks, all.

12. benk33

benk33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Further question. So I find that my wheels are 15". Now do I have to get a spare tire that is specifically designed for a Prius or if I just get any other spare that has that measurement can I use it as a spare?

Thanks!
    Ben

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got a pdf of the 2005 owner's manual, think that's the same as 2008, not sure. Anyway, on page 315, there's tire spec's. While the regular tires are 15", it appears the spare is 16", specifically: T125/70D16 96M.

Capture.JPG

Here's a TireRack example:

Bridgestone Tracompa-3

#13 Mendel Leisk, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  14. benk33

benk33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Should a 135/70/16 Toyota Prius spare (it was listed as a spare tire for 2004-2014 Toyota Prius) still fit in the back compartment under the tool tray? Does 135 as opposed to 125 make a difference here?

Thanks,
    Ben

15. Daniel Ingalls

Daniel Ingalls New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Does the dealership try to sock it to you with tire spare is optional when buying a new car? I know most dealers are crooks
    trying to weasel AS much cash as potable when selling cars. One I will never pay extra for driver and front driver carpets

16. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should stay with the EXACT tire mentioned in the documentation Mendel provided, unless you KNOW for absolute, positive that any other size will fit and you try it out BEFORE you need it.

Junkyards and tire dealers can help you out, but most junkyards are run by licensed pirates and you are going to pay top dollar. My local Blackbeard wanted $135 for a used Corolla jack.

One option would be to troll Craigslist. If you are in a larger Metro area, you may find someone selling off parts of a wrecked Prius and could possibly get a better deal. Otherwise, be ready to end up paying $300 or even quite a bit more if you need the tire, the wheel, the hold-down, the jack, the jack accessory

17. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would spend the $80 and buy off ebay to save time.

WIthout a spare you will need to carry a 12v tire inflator and plug repair kit is the other way to go.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A decent quality manual pump will work too.