1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where do I begin Crash / No start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Whitfimb, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Whitfimb

Whitfimb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius01.jpg

Taking a trip to pick this one up ~ Crashed & Down 12 months ~ Where to start? Inspect Battery+ 12V fuse @ Battery and MAIN 140A at the front fuse box behind drivers headlight / under hood and then CAUTIOUSLY jump the 12v from under the hood? I can access the rear hatch unlatch and could jump from 12V battery if necessary.

The car was hit 11/24/2020 and has been sitting since. Wife's friend has been doing COVID travel nursing and bought a new one since her son's accident. She wants this one gone and has asked me to come and get it. I am an X-auto tech / State inspector and mechanically inclined but Hybrid illiterate. The airbags did not deploy. Research here has brought my attention to the DC fuse at the 12V battery +, and the main 140A fuse on the right front fuse box. I am also aware that I must check all fuses and inspect harnesses/connections of those I find to have failed.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to say. after a year, you might want to bring a fresh 12v with you, a grid charger or good hybrid battery, and the wiring diagram from the service manual.
    or just bring roller skates and a flat bed tow truck.

3. Whitfimb

Whitfimb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I brought a trailer, stout floor Jack, jump pack, and some diagnostic stuff.
    With the jump pack the car would light up (12v DC battery fuse was good) and I believe the 140amp fuse box fuse is good. Hybrid battery was still latched and connected. The car did drive and move after the accident. All fuses under hood checked out ok. Key would not communicate with the car. We finally got it loaded up. Will freshen up the remote battery and let the car charge over night. I will try to run some OBD2 codes.

bisco likes this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Might run fine with a 12V battery, or might have a flat HV battery and who knows what else wrong with it. Sounds like a great learning opportunity but I might suggest that you don't try to learn on site- just have a method to tow it home (pickup truck and a tow dolly).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Whitfimb

Whitfimb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMG_20211127_160919_848.jpg i gave it a good bath (removing the leaves mold and mice Uggh!) and checked the fluids. The car had just been to Toyota service 2 weeks before the crash. It took a few tries to get the car to recognize the key. Even holding it up to the start button didnt work at first. After carefully cleaning the boards inside of the remotes and 9nstalling fresh batteries- The engine started on the second attempt. I sourced a fresh tire for the right front and put the spare back where it belongs. I removed the majority of the crashed items (bumper fender and associated plastics).

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! from that angle, she looks like right out of the showroom!

how many miles on her?

Mendel Leisk likes this.