1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where do I find a RHD Prius V??

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Andrew Lechien, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Andrew Lechien

Andrew Lechien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all!
    I have a 2017 Prius two that I absolutely love. My wife works as a rural postal carrier in our town and I'd love for her to stop driving her 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee gas guzzler and use a Prius V instead. The only caveat to her using a Prius V to do her route is that it has to be a right hand drive vehicle to deliver the mail in the US. Her work vehicle can also a right hand drive conversion kit but I find them cumbersome and not as reliable as I'd like. We did a conversion on her Jeep and it works ok but I'd rather she have a factory RHD vehicle to replace what she has now. Is there any where I can look for her a RHD V? Thanks in advance!!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    #2 rjparker, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I purchased a 1995 Cherokee RHD for my wife when she was a rural carrier. One thing to keep in mind is ride height and ergonomics for reaching out a window to handle mailbox flags and doors. 500 'reaches' a day can be brutal when at a bad angle.

A few years ago, (well after I purchased our RHD Cherokee) this opened a few miles from my house:

JDM Right Hand Drive Cars for Sale - Skylines, Supras, RX7, 180sx | We Sell JDM

I've driven by it many times, but never checked it out. Maybe you have something similar?

They have a RAV4 available:

RHD Mail Route 1995 Toyota Rav4 for sale AWD RHD vehicle. USA

Another thing to keep in mind is the overall shape of the window. Some vehicles have the forward area of the drivers window cut off, with an immovable triangle shaped piece at the front. That small area makes a BIG difference in how much clearance is available when moving your arm with a handful of mail. Always go for the design that doesn't have that triangle, when the option is there.

#3 TMR-JWAP, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  4. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That JDM place might actually work for the OP. The Prius V is no longer sold in US after 2017, but it continued to be sold in Japan as the Prius Alpha until 2020.

Much as I dislike reccomending the RAV4 as a replacement for a Prius V, a RAV4 Hybrid might make more sense for a letter carrier. Four wheel Drive would help with snow in Indiana. The Prius V does great in the snow, as long as it is less than 5 inches deep. At 6 inches, the Prius V's low ground clearence and bottom engine cover cause it to get stranded like a turtle on its back. Even tire chains don't help at that point. I know this from personal experience with my 2013 Prius V in Philadelphia.

Also: the higher from the ground seating position of a RAV4 would make it easier accessing roadside mailboxes.