1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where do you apply California HOV Sticker on your Prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ceemore, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Wattup

Wattup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just got my transponder and it's good to know they redesigned it so it's about a 3rd of the regular square shaped one. It's a rectangle now.

I did some reading on their site and I think you should also take this into consideration if you have more than two people in the car with the fastrak transponder set to two or more people, it's a free ride. Without a transponder in the car, you'll have to pay even with two or more people.

2. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    None of the bridges in Bay area need the physical transponder in car. The new 580 express lane requires the driver to have the physical flex transponder in the car, even for an electric car.

3. Jerbear949

Jerbear949 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I saw you pulling into the Mission Viejo mall a couple weeks back!!!! I was wondering the same thing how did you get you HOV stickers with no plates!!!! Lol....

iPhone ?

4. bowang

bowang Member

The white prime plus with Tustin dealer plate and HOV sticker? I test drove it but didn't buy it. Glad to know it finds owner.
    I heard many car comes with sticker applied by dealer without license plate I thought it's common. Maybe just in region where dealer are diligent to compete business.

5. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I put mine on the black part. Less conspicuous and ugly there.

6. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a feeling mine will be going in the black part too. Can't wait to get my plates to order the HOV stickers, I don't believe my dealer requested them already.

#26 alexcue, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  7. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As long as it is visible and in general in the designated area, I cannot image there being a problem with locating it in a more aesthetically pleasing place. I no longer have a daily commute that uses the decals, so I am dragging my feet actually installing them, since my wife doesn't like how they look.

Whatever happened to that California law that was going to extend the HOV decals beyond Jan 1, 2019? One of the aspects of the proposal was that the extension would depend on the model year, and different color decals would be issued to reflect the expiration year.

8. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The law has been passed. My green sticker is good for 4 years from date of purchase, but I don't know what they're going to do with the varied expiration dates for plug-ins.

9. Phildgreat

Phildgreat Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Which bill is this? This is news to me!

10. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I believe it's SB-838 which has eliminated the statutory limit on Green Clean Air Vehicle stickers effective September 13, 2016. Try the following URL for more info: Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers
    Good luck!

11. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As I read it the statutory limit refers to the number of green stickers available not the length they will effective to. That seems to not have been extended.... yet!

12. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The expiration date(s) has been extended, I saw that mine was good til 2021; I'll have to go hunt it up again!

The bill, I believe is AB-1964; it extends the stickers life to 4 years from date of issuance.
    Here's the best URL so far:
    California - AB 1964 - 2016 - Transportation Legislature Bill High-occupancy vehicle lanes: vehicle exceptions. | Advanced Energy Legislation Tracker
    but the bill appears to have died in the Senate after the third reading. The problem is that Google doesn't necessarily return most up-to-date info on these bills, nor is info displayed chronologically. So Shylok Homes can get frustrated!

#32 HPrimeAdvanced, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Pdog808 likes this.
  13. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    @HPrimeAdvanced - damn I hope they extend it.. 2021 would be awesome.

Just got my HOV sticker last Friday and even though I leave at 5:30 AM, it's awesome to drive by the slow spots on the 405 and see everyone jamming on their brakes (and thinking - hey that was me last week.. poor b*st*rds) .

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  14. Phildgreat

Phildgreat Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I hope you're right but the latest bill you've posted is the same one I've been following. Hopefully, there's some info the public isn't privy to yet as far as extending the program.

I submitted my HOV app on 4/24 without my license plate info and I'm still checking daily for that check to be cashed. The DMV is so damn slow...

15. wtbprime

wtbprime New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    confirmed, takes about 1 week from day of cashed check to receive

16. PearlBlizzard

PearlBlizzard Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Finally got my stickers after waiting 6 months. Dealer messed up with car designation. Many hours of time and lots of forms to fix with DMV.

The stickers came with instructions that the 2 little stickers go ONLY on the front, and NOTHING on the back. The CA DMV web picture is similar, but the instructions are different. Anyone else notice this discrepancy? Sticker location has become a moving target. Sure hope the police know this change.

At least the blue color looks better, but who is the moron that designed these hideous stickers? No matter how you place them, they look crooked. I wonder how owners feel about messing up the lines of a $100k car like the Tesla.

17. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I never heard of Fastrak tags either (but then again I usually don't go on toll roads/bridges).

Your link didn't work for me but this link does.

18. dtsexpert

dtsexpert Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    It has been 3 months for me waiting for the decals.
    Check has not been cashed yet.

19. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Fastrak is a bridge/toll-road transponder tag used in California. Normally, the "tag" is a plastic device about 3''x5''x0.5'' that you stick on the inside of your windshield. But apparently one can also get it in a form which you permanently attach to your front bumper, if for some reason your windshield blocks the signal (tinting?)

20. dtsexpert

dtsexpert Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Finally the DMV cashed my check after 3'months waiting.