1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where do you bring your Prius for Oil Changes?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Maytrix, Oct 18, 2005.

?
  1. Dealer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Private Mechanic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Jiffy Lube or similiar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Do it yourself

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, what does everyone do for oil changes?

I'm about 1500 miles away from my first oil change and wondering what others do.

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< My Independent Mechanic

I have dealt with his shop for nearly 20 years and have proved time after time his honesty and skills. Admittedly, his shop is not Prius "Certified," but for oil/filter changes and tire rotation they're just fine. I can observe what they're doing; how they're doing it, and inspect other elements of my Prius in the process.

3. kjb516

kjb516 New Member

When I took delivery of my Prius, I took the extended warrantee and lifetime oil change package they offered. Yes, I probably paid more in the long run, but it has been good opportunity to have Toyota verify that my Prius is up to date with any updates or recalls. I have also had them fix (free of charge) two minor trim issues that I probably would have just fixed myself had I not been in the dealership anyway.

This weekend I took my Prius in for its 5,000 mile oil change and was told that it would be around 2 hours (I wasn’t going to hang around anyway). After pointing out their sign guaranteeing a one hour turn around on oil changes (or the next one is free), they replaced my cabin and engine air filters for nothing as I’ve already paid for all of my oil changes.

Not much in terms of actual money, but their good will gesture makes it FAR more likely that I’ll return when the time comes to replace her SUV. Now if I can get Toyota to release the RAV4 in a hybrid, I’ll return to this dealership in a second.

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Pope-Davis store about 1/2 mile from my house does the change and rotates the tires for under $20 because I supply the oil. Not sure why it isn't fixed at some cost, but I've paid between $16 and $18 over the last two changes...

5. Seaside Harry

Seaside Harry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just did our first oil change & tire rotation yesterday at 4737 miles. Process was as follows:

Oil: Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30, $25 for 6 quarts @Costco. Filter: Toyota OEM, $4.00 including drain plug crush washer Metro Toyota (metrotpn.com)

Drove car sufficiently to warm up engine oil. Loosened lugnuts using "cross-type" lugwrench, which I seem to accumulated several of. Even the one stamped with metric sizes had a bit of slop in its fit, but a layer of electrical tape around the inside of the 21mm socket was just enough for a snug fit. As a bonus, this also provides some protection from marring the chrome finish on the lug nuts.

Jacked left rear and placed jack stand under frame. Then removed jack and repeated for front. Placed catchpan under car and removed drain plug with 14mm socket. Removed oil filter and let everything continue to drain while removing left side wheels.

Filled new oil filter with oil, lubed gasket, and installed. Old crush washer was jammed on very tight, so I had to hold the plug with socket while prying the washer loose. Reinstalled plug with new washer.

Swap wheels front/back, lower car, tighten lug nuts, repeat for passenger side. Pour in 3 full quarts using funnel, then check level. Pour in additional oil from bottle already opened to pre-fill the oil filter until level is 1/4" below "full" dimple on dipstick. Finally, check tire pressure and fill as needed. In my case, all tires had dropped about 2 PSI since last check. This put the rear (formerly front) tires spot on at 40 PSI. The new front tires needed 4 PSI added to bring them up to 42.

The whole thing could have been done in about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, but in my case it was a 2 hour+ project. Since the back sides of the wheels were fairly grimey, I used the opportunity to give them a good cleaning while off the car. It also took me a while to find my second jack stand, since I rarely needed to use more than one of them at a time until now. Speaking of jack stands, my 1970s-vintage stands have a minimum height of about 14". By the time I had the car jacked high enough to place a jack stand, I was afraid the car would tip over! Well, not really, but it wasn't as stable as I would like. I'll be shopping for shorter stands before the 10k service is due. A 10" jack stand height would still give me enough room to slide under for oil & filter change, even on the creeper.

I found John's guide useful, but decided to change oil with driver's side raised instead of passenger side as shown in the guide. I felt this tilted the vehicle more in the "right" direction to facilitate oil drainage, while still giving me enough room to get underneath. (Your rotundity may vary.)

See: http://john1701a.com/prius/documents/Prius...hanging-Oil.pdf

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I bought my Prius at Carson Toyota but went to Frank Toyota in National City because I was told they were used to Prii and would deduct the cost of the oil if I brought my own (plus Frank was 13 miles away and Carson was 125).

It took about an hour, but it wasn't perfect. They overfilled the oil (and said that was normal), and then rotated the tires, but didn't change the pressure (I ended up with 40/42). Also, one of the jolly jokers changed the temperature from 75 to an amusing, but rude, 69. And I was wondering why my milage was going down. <_<

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i just tell my husband he can drive the car to work. presumably, to change the oil while he's there ;) why else would i give up my Prius?

i guess you can call it sort-of-do-it-yourself that way. we pay for supplies and he does it at work after the shop stops taking in work for the day.

and sure enough, he put just under 4 quarts in and it was overfilled by just a tiny bit. that finally convinced him to put in 3.5 next time. :)

that reminds me i have to take it by and have him drain off the extra sometime. i'm down to *52* mpg! grrrr.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I have my dealer do it as they will replace tires for free if I get maintenance done by them. In hindsight, It probably isn't worth it.

But I do like talking to Jeana in parts.

9. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I ususally have my private mechanic change the oil & filter, mainly because he check a few dozen other item like the brake pads, tire wear,ball joints, door hinges. All the stuff that Toyota charges $100 something dollars extra for when only an oil change & filter are really needed. The only down side is he doesn't have a Prius scanner to turn off the maintenance light!

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Why would he (or you) need one? Just hold the ODO button while powering up, and wait for the --- to go away.

11. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I take it to the dealer for the oil changes. The list price is about $25 or $30. I usually get a coupon, and I think I got two oil changes for $1 each (using the coupon.)

You did not ask, but I have done the 15 and 30 K maintenance at the dealer, and probably paid too much there.

12. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took the Prius into Toyota of Walnut Creek without an appointment at 10:45 PM wanting to make an appt. for the 5000 mile service sometime in the near future. To my shock they said that they would do it right then, while I waited and in less then 45 minutes or it's free. Wow! The total came to 31$ but I have the prepaid maintenance agreement so, I did not have to pay. I was also surprised by their call to toyota regarding the pre paid plan without my having to ask. I, as of yet, do not have a coupon book. I was in and out in less then 30 minutes and without an appt. I will continue with them.
    -Paul R. Haller- :D

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer

$29.95++ for oil & filter service, in and out in 45 mins.

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I take my car to my Private Mechanic (Bryan's Automotive in Olympia WA). He has been fair and low cost over the years and has gone the extra mile for me over the years. He would like to "step up" to hybrid repair but so far finds it hard to get instruction. The dealer did OK but the tire rotation was not good as they put the fronts on the back but did not adjust the pressure. I have lost faith in them.

15. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

If it's only $30 at the dealer and about 45 minutes I'm there! I used to change the oil in my old Accord but you don't save any money and it's just messy. I used to end up with lots of oil I had to get rid of. Forget jacking up the car on stands and all that. I can see having more pride in your car by doing stuff yourself but not me. I took my Civic to Jiffy Lube and had some trouble with leaks so I won't be taking Christine there. I'll just double check what the dealer does to make sure they but the bolt back on and stuff.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    that's in CAD though. Also, I did it at 9am so fewer people.

17. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Dealer only because I get my first 3 free.

18. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Dan for the tip. I looked all over the place and when I asked the dealer, they said " You have to bring that in, we only do that when we service the car."

19. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

$30 for an oil change, and some places include tire rotation? What a bargain! I pay $50+ for that. I need to check their time guarantee. Last time I went on a Saturday mid-morning, they said it would be at least an hour, and that I should have made an appointment.
    Uh, this is a Lube Express participating shop isn't it?

20. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes Dan, Walnut Creek Toyota participates in the lube express program. I also checked the report on fluid condition and refill. It said my washer fluid was low and refilled. The inside had been vaccumed and oil fill level was correct at 3.7 quarts. Tires were rotated and pressurized to 35 psi. I went home and aired them up to 42 and 40. I am impressed. All done in 30 minutes without an appt. and for 29.95 + tax.
    -Paul R. Haller-
    :p