1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where do you buy reasonably priced maintenance parts (filters, etc)?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mc510, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Michael Loveroot

Michael Loveroot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I hear arguments like this, but then I also think, “Toyota is also a very large corporation. Perhaps not quite as large and pervasive as the Big A, but certainly a very large corporation. Couldn’t the Big T also be corrupt in some ways? Why give automatic trust to them over some other brand of auto parts?”

2. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    As to the trust in the big T, mine isn’t automatic, or blind, but based on reputation and out of all the other brands of auto parts they are probably the most likely to have a vested interest in the future of the vehicle. Additionally, the most likely NOT to end up with counterfeit parts.

3. Michael Loveroot

Michael Loveroot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    @Doug McC — yes, that sounds like a grounded response. Wondering why you believe Toyota is less susceptible to counterfeit parts? Do you mean less susceptible than Amazon or less susceptible than other auto part suppliers

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can't really expect to ask this question in general and then get a long list. But if want to ask about best price for specific things and our experience with the quality of it we'd be happy to help.

It really comes down to personal experience and advice from others... I prefer to buy the absolute lowest price I can find online and then decide on the quality once I have it. But for stuff like motor oil and oil filters I just go to a local department store where prices are low enough.

Stevewoods likes this.
  5. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Definitely less susceptible than Amazon (based on my work experience there and purchase history), and would expect, less than other part suppliers in regards to Toyota OEM parts (simply because Toyota could be expected to have more control over the supply chain).
    While no system is fool-proof, based on my experience working in and with other companies, I would expect Toyota to have certain procedures in place to guard against counterfeit parts being introduced to the system.

6. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rock Auto

Been a fan for years. Yeah their shipping can be pricey, but I have learned if you try a couple of different address, hopefully if you can use a business address, you can save significantly on shipping. Just having something sent to my sister's house in a different (nearby) city can decrease shipping by 20 percent or more -- or not. My office, at least 20 percent, sometimes much more.

Also, I find Rock Auto sells Denso parts for a rock bottom price and we all know who uses Denso parts....hint, it's toyota,.

Finally, Rock Auto often has close-out prices. I loaded up on top-of-the-line ACDelco filters that Rock Auto was blowing out for $2.50 each awhile back.

7. ToyXW

ToyXW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've used RockAuto for a long time, but lately about 10% of my items are the wrong part and returning them has been a hassle.

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I went and checked out their website right after I saw it mentioned here and wasn't impressed at all...

9. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No issue with me. But, I have not found Denso parts anywhere as inexpensive as Rock Auto. I will not buy any critical parts from online giants because of the problems with counterfeit parts. Some online giants do great at filtering the fakes....others do not.

Rock Auto does sell the real deal. If they are right for you, great. If not, it's not like I own stock in Rock Auto. :p