1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where do you buy Toyota 0-w20 oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by VovCA, Sep 18, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hmm... i don't think messing with the society of automotive engineer's would be a good trick.

2. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How long have you been using it? Your Prius likes it OK? I bought some of the same, but haven't tasted it yet. My brother uses the 5W-30 version in an Avalon that has over 300K and negligible oil consumption. Warren makes many brands of oil, of which RK is only one. Their web site shows properties for their own brand of synthetic, which I'd guess is likely the same recipe that goes in the RK bottles.

3. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like the mobil 1 ep synthetic 0w-20.

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is nothing magical about manufacturer-labeled oil. In fact lab tests routinely prove that many 3rd party oils (e.g., Amsoil) rate superior in life and protection than the manufacturer's OEM product. The manufacturer can't claim "special/secret additives" because if they're lying, it's a potential multi-million exposure for false adverting/marketing in most markets.

The only reason many will still pay a premium for Toyota coolant and transmission fluid on the Prius is because there is some debate about how "equal" aftermarket suppliers are to OEM Toyota specs. Being "safe" to use in a Toyota (will not cause damage) does not mean it's equal to what Toyota's particular brand contains (will provide the same benefits)...but that's a debate for a different thread.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's exactly the reason I stick with Toyota's product, for the more esoteric applications, ie: coolant and transaxle fluids. There may be completely compatible, equal (or superior) products, but I don't feel competent to research them, don't want the risk.

6. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I meant they are both the same and meet SAE, just one with SAE label. May be they pay extra for using it to SAE, and do some extra tests.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose that's a possibility, but if they are the same, it wouldn't really matter. your problem is that mobil 1 doesn't perform as well for you as toyota. i had toyota for 25,000 miles cause it was free, then switched to m1, and didn't notice any change. but it was put in at my local mobil station, and i dk if it's the same stuff as walmarts.

8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you guys are overthinking and overcomplicating what amounts to an imaginary distinction. Same thing, with or without the "SAE" adjective tossed in front.