1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

where do you put the trashbag in Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by marpet30, Dec 4, 2013.

1. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    We hang ours on the shift knob.

trentofdestiny likes this.
  2. James4455

James4455 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This has promise

3. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ya know, if you suspended a trash bag from a helium balloon on the ceiling, the weight of the suspended trash would not decrease the mileage of the Prius. Just sayin'.
    When the fuel-cell versions come out, we could just tap into that hydrogen tank and make the ceiling balloon a hydrogen balloon. That will lift about 10% more trash than helium! Of course, you might not want to have your passengers smoke while you drive that thing.

xliderider and hybridbear like this.
  4. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Am I the only other person who does this? :p

5. James4455

James4455 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hadn't thought of this, I would expect it would pull the shifter to 'B'. Does this happen often?

6. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nah, it normally holds the shifter in its resting position. If there is a passenger, their left knee leaning against the bag means difficult to shift to R, N, D, but B is straight down and that's why the bag doesn't affect it. The bag pulls to the right, not down.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still won't think of this. As a frequent driver of manual transmissions, even the shifter is a vehicle control that I wouldn't dream of impairing in any way.

8. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But a 30 gal trash bag would sit on the floor and not create tension on the shifter. It would just keep the top more open so you can just chuck your chicken wing bones, 64 oz slurpee barrel or what ever in the general direction of the passenger foot well and... 2 points! (driving game?) :LOL:
    (a few drops of air freshener on your cabin air filter might keep the down somewhat on hot days ;) )

swaggingprius likes this.
  9. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lol I meant a white plastic grocery bag and yes it does hang on the shifter BUT is mostly filled with food wrappers, napkins, etc. light items. And when that (small) bag gets full, it gets tossed. So there isn't anything much or anything heavy in the car's trash for very long

10. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Our trash bag is Thule brand and designed for cars. It is very light. The cord is long enough that the bottom of the bag rests on the floor of the car too so there is no real effect on moving the shifter. If the passenger leans their knee of the bag or the handle they could impede shifter movement, but most people don't usually choose to lean their knee against trash so this isn't usually an issue. I'm always very aware of that when I'm sitting in the passenger seat and my wife is too when she is sitting there.

11. swaggingprius

swaggingprius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why not start a recycling program inside your car? Every door holds a plastic bin:
    1. front passenger - Glass bottles
    2. rear right - Plastic
    3. rear left - cardboard and other paper products
    4. driver - (my favorite) perishables and other

hybridbear likes this.
  12. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is weird. I wonder how Washington passed a car trash bag law to begin with. o_O

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that he was referring to my Washington, the State, not your Washington, the District.

14. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Haha, yes, I know! I doubt that kind of law would ever be passed here, considering we don't even have safety inspections (just emissions) in DC. I really am curious to know what the impetus was for passing such a law in WA, though!

15. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Visions of different types of refuse being tossed about the cabin of a Prius. Could be fun if points were scored for accurate disposals.
    Would chocolate be included with "perishables"? I'm usually driving so it would be handy to have all chocolate disposed in my direction!

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm Prius Chat regular enough to remember near identical queries on this issue in the past.

I'm surprised it is as big an issue as it appears to be for many. With my vehicles, up to and including the Prius, I simply do not let "trash" build up. So where to put a trash bag is never a question I have to answer.

Even on a long road trip, if I end up with some trash build up..."snack stops" I just consolidate as best I can, and " Take The Trash Out" at the nearest convenience mart or other stop.

To each there own. But I think the best answer is to avoid needing a trash bag. Maybe if I was dealing with a big family? I might appreciate the need for a trash bag. But for myself...maybe one other passenger? I never really need a formal trash bag.

17. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you implying the US Congress just has emissions and never gets inspected for safety??
    Well, actually, that explains a lot.

18. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know you are being a bit facetious, but I'll answer anyway. :) Re: Safety--not that I know of. They might do a visual check of DC cars at the emissions testing place (there is only one for the entire city), but no big safety inspection like in other states (MD and VA both have safety inspections AND emissions, I believe). I had my car emissions tested last month since I bought it used (certified) and it was in and out in five minutes. I'm not sure how it works for Congress, I guess it depends if they have cars registered here or in their own state. We also have a lot of Diplomat tags here (mostly people who work in embassies); I'm not sure if they are held to the same safety and registration rules as the rest of us. Also, a lot of people avoid registering in DC entirely by having a driveway. You have to be a DC citizen to get DC tags/street parking, and a lot of people prefer to stay registered in their home state so their vote "counts." I like my Taxation Without Representation tags, though, and I don't have a driveway so I needed to become a DC resident to get street parking. ;)

//thread jacked.

19. marpet30

marpet30 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We haven't had time to come to the library to read the posts until today. Amazing how varied are the responses! Thank you all. We have been trying to to "pack out" each time, but .... I am short and can't get my arm behind the front seats, our trash is mostly used kleenex, so now we have some ideas. thank you all!

20. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pair of these… 'though now they're clipped to the center tunnel, flyover, whatever-you-call-it :)

Prius_gash.jpg

P.S. Search 'car trash' on eBay… not available two years ago, think I might upgrade to all black √