1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where Does The Grey Wire Go? Installing OEM Aux CD Player

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Bruce Berquist, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Bruce Berquist

Bruce Berquist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I purchased a OEM Accessory CD Player, salvaged from a 2002 Prius, to install in my 2003 Prius.

Unfortunately, the seller who salvaged this CD Player cut the wires off as a stub from the body of the player unit, rather than simply reach a very accessible terminal and disconnect it.

I have the Y-Adaptor that came pre-installed in my 2003.

Cut off the terminal on the CD end of the adaptor, then I color matched all of the wires from the player to the adaptor, spliced and soldered them.

I have 2 wires left unattached.

One is the wire mesh that lined the section of wires coming from the CD Player that go to the front speakers. I see no evidence of what it is for or where it is supposed to be attached to.

The other is the dark grey wire in the Y-Adaptor. Appears that it is supposed to be some sort of power wire. (the orange wire appears to partially power the CD player in that it powers the Disc ejection function)
    There is no dark grey wire coming from the OEM CD Player.
    What does it do and where should it go?

I tried installing the CD Player with out the grey wire attached anywhere on the player, but the Player does not power up and the radio and cassette player still power up but there is not sound or volume control to the speakers.
    When I press the CD button the screen says "No External Device Connected".

I am hoping somebody here has some stereo installation experience and can advise me.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My notes from when I had to troubleshoot those connections say that I found the pinout at http://wiki.priusforum.de/wiki/Audioeingang_%28Nachr%C3%BCstung_P1%29 but that site seems no longer operative. The Wayback Machine has the main page, but doesn't seem to ever have archived the audioeingang page.

That pinout was not included in my 2001 wiring diagram. If you haven't looked in your 2003 EWD, it might be there. Or maybe @Elektroingenieur knows something.

Bruce Berquist likes this.