1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where does this tiny screw go in my key fob and where to get batteries?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by yazyazoo, Dec 18, 2017.

1. yazyazoo

yazyazoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was trying to replace my battery on my key fob because I got a low error message on the PiP.

I opened it up and saw I need a 1632 battery.

Also this tiny screw fell out and I can't figure out where it needs to go.

I put it back together without the screw and it still works but wants to figure out where that screw goes.

Also any suggestions on where to get that weird battery?

2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Any store that sells button cells. That used to be Radio Shack. Now it might be Batteries Plus (or whatever their new name is). There's always Amazon. No idea about the tiny screw. I can't think of how or why a screw would fall out. There is only opening the shell and replacing the battery. No screws to loosen or tighten when a battery is replaced. Also, no tools necessary either. The physical end of the removable key serves to pry open the shell. There is a snap apart point in the case that it fits in and you just twist it.

3. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Yeah, I don't see any screws in mine, or anywhere for a screw to go. It's possible they used different fobs at different times during production though, mine is made by Tokai Rika.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe in the circuitboard? open your other fob and maybe you will see it.
    i get batteries from drugstores like cvs, walgreen and etc.

5. Yea Right

Yea Right Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just did both my 2014 PIP and 2015 Rav, no screws to be found. Batteries came from Amazon. And if course, they were different, so I have some extra 1632's ...

6. Nickod

Nickod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That little screw goes into the spring where the button for releasing the steel screw is located. Don't push on the release button when you have the fob open or you may lose screw and spring. You don't need it for the fob to function electronically, but it seems to put pressure on the steel key to hold it in the fob.