1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

where exactly is air intake for cabin?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by timbobo3, Aug 23, 2010.

1. timbobo3

timbobo3 Junior Member

I have the "mouse in the cabin air filter" problem. Where exactly is the entry point outside the firewall where fresh air is brought in?

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Cabin air comes through openings in the firewall beneath the black plastic
    piece at the base of the windshield.

The black plastic piece and the windshield wipers have to be removed to
    access the openings.

This thread about installing a strut tower brace has an illustrated
    sequence that covers the parts you'll have to remove:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...trut-tower-brace-install-pictures-text-4.html

I found it to be a simple and easy process when I installed a BT Tech
    strut tower brace.

There is also at least one thread with pictures about installing
    1/4" hardware cloth screens over the openings. I suspect that using
    the search tool will find it.

2 people like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rokeby hit it good but may I add there is no intake past the firewall. The air intake is at the air dam at the base of the windshield. You may check for debris clogs very easily. The water entering that area is vented out behind each front wheel. There is a water outlet right behind each front wheel. Take a garden hose and with pressure low and controlled fill up that air dam at the bottom of the windshield with water. You should see a good stream of water exiting out the back of each front wheel.

If that intake area is clogged with leaf debris or rodent debris the cabin will smell very bad in the Fresh Air mode.

Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. Beelzel

Beelzel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Perhaps put this "flush" on the usual routine maintenance list.

At my 45K dealer call this week ... they mentioned a sludge buildup in the fresh air tube... offered to clean it out for 174$.

Guess when it stops snowing this weekend will give it a quick squirt. Anyone have a surefire cleaning idea for this?

5. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ahhhhhh....timely Tip!

..This may account for the recent "funk" I can not attribute to anything else!
    will initiate low press hose water clogged test since the weather is really really nice out today!!

my nose thanks you!

6. CLAIREB

CLAIREB New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the dead rodent STINK. I replaced the cabin air filter after pulling loads of smelly fuzz, fur, acorns, etc out of the filter area and the fan well. Switching between internal and external air freed up more fuzz to remove. Now the gross smell lasts for a short time when start up the car and turn on the fan. Also can smell near passenger side below windshield. Question is, If I take off the wipers and black apron below the windshield will I likely have acces the rest of the critter's remains? Good news is 4 days ago, if someone told me you had to remove the glove box to get at the cabin air filter I would have thought I couldn't do such an auto repair. Now I'll tackle removing wipers and black apron if I can get further into the air intake. Thanks for any advise.

bisco likes this.
  7. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes. Removing the wiper arms and black tray will allow access to that area. After using a shop vac I would wash everything I could reach with a toilet brush (new of course) to reach small spaces with hot soapy water. Flush with hot water and vinegar. Vinegar is wonderful for cleaning and killing smells.... If it is REALLY bad I have heard people use bottles of green mouthwash to flush out HEVAC systems after a vinegar bath. Good Luck to you.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i sprinkled baking soda on top of the filter. it worked after repeating for several days, but the downside is thatthe inside of the outlet vents are coated

9. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Activated carbon cabin filters work sometimes
    Also takes care of mildew in humid climates

and