1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where have all the Prius gone...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Mendel Leisk, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yesterday, started it up, began backing down the driveway, controlling speed with a little pressure on the brake. There was momentary weirdness, like the brakes had sort-of let go, then gripped again. And then got the warning "CHECK HYBRID SYTEM" and a yellow triangle (inverted?) with exclamation mark.

I tried maybe 3 restarts, but the warning persisted. Phoned the dealership, booked-up Saturday, but they said they'd (commendably) squeeze it in. So we brought it in, when they eventually got to it they read the codes, cleared them, test drove, said it appeared the computer(s) "lost contact" momentarily, and it seemed ok, I should keep an eye on it. $69 please.

I got in and started driving home, down the back lane first. Car started making a VERY strange buzzing sound, coming from under the hood. By the end of the lane I decided I better circle back to the dealership, pulled in at the curb in front, left it running and raised the hood, and: suprise, suprise, the hood support rod was loose, laying over the engine, doing a dance. Comic relief...

Sorry, hijacking my own thread, back on topic:

On our first visit, to drop of the car, my wife and I started wandering the showroom a bit, hard to resist. To be fair you can't get that many vehicles in there, but anyway, there was one Prius c. Also a Camry hybrid. Then we went outside down to their expansive covered lot. This is where we'd unearthed our baby going on 4 years back, way at the back.

Anyway, one side was devoted to trucks, the other side a mix, saw ONE Prius hatchback, and a single Prius v. When we were there 4 years back this lot was littered with Prius. What's going on? Just current low inventory? Local drought? Changing demand?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe all of the above? i suppose the 15's are on the way. gas prices support larger vehicles, 4 years ago, everyone wanted to save money, etc.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    :) Gas prices in the -US- support larger vehicles. Not so much in Canada.
    Dealers know something we don't? Like a new Prius this fall? Though I'm told they love to "clear out" "old" models (easier to sell as customers think they are getting a deal) so maybe that isn't it.
    We ARE right between the new models coming in and the old can't be ordered anymore. Maybe that's it.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ooo, the "n" word. ;)

VERY likely dreaming, but hey...

#4 Mendel Leisk, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    After reading your post I then read the new 2015s are arriving in the US. AND the body is "slightly" different. So that may be it.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How many miles on her Mendel?

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    46000~ kms. What's that, 35000 miles?? Not much.

8. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    More like 28,500 miles. Even less!

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know everyone always says this, but have you checked the 12 volt? Not many miles on her for sure!

10. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The prius were probably sold off from this month's incentives from Toyota, and people are probably buying them to save on the inevitable gas price hike that'll be coming soon, because of some random event in a part of the world that has nothing to do with oil but makes the price jump anyway. Or those speculators need a shiny new plane.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @ dorunron:

Yeah. It was kinda weird: checked it first at the under-the-hood fuse box, and it read 12.70 volts, with my digital multimeter. Then because I was at the battery (snooping, after finding the loose hood support rod, thought I should see what they'd been doing), I measure the voltage directly on the battery and got 12.55. Which was more like I'd expected.

Strange difference though... I periodically hook up a CTEK 3300. Yeah I know, this is one low mileage, garage-kept, pampered car, lol.

So the battery's coming up on 4 years, like the car. Cause at purchase the 12 volt was completely dead, had to be replaced. It's the OEM YUASA (sic).

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you check it cold?

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where have all the Prii gone, long time passing?
    Where have all the Prii gone, long time ago?
    Where have all the Prii gone?
    Gone for F150's everyone
    Oh, when will they ever learn?
    Oh, when will they ever learn?

So long Pete Seeger, we will miss you.
    In actual fact, I am hoping for a Prii sell-out at the new car dealers this weekend.

Data Daedalus and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  15. Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I suspect that's it. I bought a 2014 Prius 4 yesterday (they have a $1500 factory rebate ending Tuesday) and they seemed to be doing a brisk business. If you go to the Toyota website now and Build a new Prius you get the 2015 models -- including return of the Prius Persona. The 2015s may not be on the lots yet, but I'm sure the 2014 models are being sold fast this weekend.

16. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess gas is cheap again. This is weird as $3.5 used to be expensive just a few years ago. I had some service done myself on Saturday and I was shocked how few fuel efficient cars they had for sale. While I saw a few liftbacks (way in the back of the lot), there was only one Yaris and a couple of hybrid Yaris (sorry, Prius c).

17. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm more disturbed by your experience with your dealer's service.

I will never bring my Prius to a dealer until my personal mechanic tells me I have no choice.

18. insrch0f

insrch0f New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I picked up my car on Saturday and I can say that the 2014 Prius were flying off the lot. As I was waiting, 3/4 of the people sitting with a salesman were looking to buy a Prius.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not too disturbed.

They screwed up one button-up item, leaving the hood rod dangling, which really freaked me out for a moment there. I'm not sure what all they did. The hatch area seemed "disturbed", so I'm thinking they maybe checked the hybrid battery's safety switch, and/or the 12 volt.

They cleared the codes, test-drove it, and really the main thing I think is that it's now logged with them, if there's any further occurrences.

They washed it. ;)

20. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My mechanic has addressed items like that already for free. He gets to work on five automobiles for me, and has done so for over twenty years. He treats me well, and I him.

The fact a dealer charged you $69 to check a few things, none of which needed anything done, strikes me as a short-sighted business decision.

I guess as long as you're happy.