1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where/how to get 8.3V module for gen2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by reasonma, Mar 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. reasonma

reasonma New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi. Will keep this short, hopefully. Am replacing a bad module in an '06 Prius battery (118,000mi). All modules are reading about 8.3V with one bad one at 7.0. I bought a new module before I knew the voltage of all other modules and it is too low, only at 7.5V. What do I do? I can't find anyone selling modules at 8.3V. Can I just charge the new module I just bought? If so, I can't figure out if I can just charge the module I bought to get it to 8.3V or need to recondition it? If I can just charge it, please link any instructions on how to do so. I've spent hours on priuschat and can't figure out how. Thank anyone so very much for any response.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Trying to find a module with 8.3v is not the way to go. There are multiple different ways to charge it depends on devices you got and your knowledge.

A lot better than just changing that one module would be to check and recondition the entire battery pack. Again there's multiple different ways to do this depending on what devices you have and your knowledge.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hybrid Automotive sells used modules and the recommended Prolong charge and discharge system.
    Since you are in the US and are DIY consider the kit of new cells for $1600 delivered that basically gives you a new battery. The link is in my signature.

WilDavis, George W and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. reasonma

reasonma New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll try that. Thank you.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Priuschat!!

Which threads on module replacement, or HV battery rebuilding have you read already?

How long had your existing modules been sitting (days/weeks) before you measured their voltages?

6. reasonma

reasonma New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've read a lot of them but I just can't get a definitive answer on how to approach my issue. I've watched many videos where people just buy new modules and replace the ones that have voltages that don't match the others. But other people suggest reconditioning every single module. My battery only has 118,000 miles on it and all modules are reading about 8-8.1V after having sit for a few days. Apparently it wouldn't be good to just replace the one bad module I have that's only reading 7.0V with a new module I bought that reads 7.5V. I guess I shouldn't just charge the new module I bought to 8V to replace the module and be done?

7. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Perhaps you could bring up the low module with a Hobby charger?

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don't over complicate this. The 8.3 volt modules are fully and freshly charged to whatever their individual capacities are. The 7.5 volt module, assuming it is a good module, is merely partially discharged. If you don't have the ability to charge it (under compression so it doesn't swell) , just install it. Make sure you reassemble the battery correctly and then install it in the car. If the module is good, once the car starts, it will start taking a charge. Over a short period of time, the voltages will even out. If it codes shortly after installation/car starting, just reset the code and force charge the battery by pressing the gas. Module voltages will even out fairly quickly.

Your repair will most likely not be a long term solution, but it should get the car going again.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. reasonma

reasonma New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you so much!! I have a car charger ordered and I will try that solution.

10. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Any updates on this?