1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where is it hot?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jan 15, 2014.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    In Brazil, below the equator. In Australia, more loudly. But that is just weather. Trouble is that Australia has been having this weather every summer since 2010. At some point, persistent weather signals begin to look like climate. Er. changing climate.

Here's hoping in advance that the N hemisphere 2014 weather does not become too hot. If it does, somebody might notice. Affinity websites will ask you to look away, but at some point they will lose their 'mojo'.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As interesting as land temperatures, there is something going on in the Pacific between, Alaska, Hawaii and Oregon:
    Unisys Weather - Sea Surface Temperature Anomaly - Current

This may be a normal pattern as I'm not in the habit of watching sea surface temperatures but gosh, what an interesting artifact.

Bob Wilson

3. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob,

I used to follow SST anomalies routinely before retiring in 2012. I still look at them occasionally.

It's my experience that these SST "hot spots" generally do not persist in any one location for an extended period of time. I recall that there was a strong positive SST anomaly off the NE CONUS coast just before hurricane/extra-tropical storm "Sandy" hit the populated areas of NJ/NY. That likely contributed to the strength of the storm.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is there a good online reference or papers describing the mechanism? Salinity, temperature, current, minimum cloud cover during the day with fog or cloud cover at night, . . . a mix?

The size of this anomaly has me curious.

The reason I ask is we've had a number of recent papers discussing thermal warming of the lower ocean layers. But here is what appears to be a thermal bloom. I'm wondering if this may make a significant, local to area change in the ocean thermocline.

Typical durations?

I had been following the Gulf surface temperatures during hurricane season as these often give a clue as to whether something bad is about to happen. But I had assumed they were solar and current related. Now I'm curious.

Bob Wilson

5. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I dont have a link but Bob Tisdale did a report about SST being normal along the path of Sandy.
    Ill find it later.

6. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IIRC, SSTs were normal over most of the track of that hurricane. The SST anomalies were positive just off the New England coast, so for the last few hours off-shore, the storm was in positive anomaly SSTs. That's what I recall, could be wrong...

7. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I'm aware of. I started following SST anomalies when I was a forecaster at Brownsville, TX (BRO), in the 1990s. That station was close enough to the Gulf of Mexico to influence the wx in the BRO forecast area.

I've used the NOAA SST anomaly site at Global Sea Surface Temperature Anomalies | Teleconnections | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC).

Haven't really noticed. Maybe on the order of weeks to months?

bwilson4web likes this.
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Whether (N Hemis.) summer just kinda pokes along or does something noteworthy probably has a lot to do with ENSO. NOAA climate prediction center suggests currently that ENSO will stay near neutral. I think that would be good news for several reasons.

However ENSO 6-12 month predictions seem to be among the most 'tentative' . Would wxman agree?

wxman likes this.