1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

where is my e-brake . There are no drum/rotors on the rear brakes.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by magnumrtawd, May 12, 2017.

1. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I still don't understand how the e-brake works. I'm having a slight brake noise when starting or stopping at very slow speeds. It sounds like rusted e-brake shoes on a conventional auto.
    I will be removing wheels and inspecting brakes today. After researching prius rear brakes the e-brake question came up. Toyota web sites offered no explanation.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The parking brake is a screw application of the rear pads. (which are otherwise hydraulic)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you pull the caliper, you will see how it works. or you can get the service manual online, if you want to study it before hand.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's plenty of explanation on techinfo.toyota.com if you ante up the $15. It looks like someone has reposted one of the better explanations here ... jump in at page 61.

-Chap

edit: in case it isn't clear, that's a very generic, many-car-models training document, covering a lot of things that aren't in the Prius. But the section on the disc-caliper parking brake is just what you're looking for. And it can be nice also to be able to view the Prius designs in context of other alternatives out there.

#4 ChapmanF, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a cam involved, I think: cable pulls the lever, cam lobe rotates and pushes piston out. Screw mechanism is to compensate for pad wear.

To OP, if you disassemble: be sure piston face spoke pattern is oriented so that the little pin on inner pad backing plate is BETWEEN the spokes.

Also, best to disconnect 12 volt neg cable for duration of disassemble, and pump brake pedal to take up "slack", after assemble but before 12 volt reconnect.

And: spin the wheels after, they should have minor drag at most.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The document I linked in #10 includes this diagram (and 3 more), as part of a nice 3-page description of how it works that starts on page 61.

-Chap

discpb.png

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK. Found my problem. Wear indicators rubbing on the rotors. 60K, thought they would last longer.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a number of people have had early wear due to dealer neglecting to do full brake inspections and slide pin lubrication, especially in road salt areas. i guess they sell more brakes that way.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So..., how many times have you had the brakes thoroughly inspected? The US schedule says visual inspection at every service interval (basically a look over as the tires are rotated), and an in-depth inspection every 30,000 miles or 36 months, whichever comes first, see page 41 for the first instance.