1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

where is the 12v connection from the inverter?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jackolebean, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Jackolebean

Jackolebean New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm trying to locate and confirm where the 12v connection comes out of the dc-dc converter and into the fuse box. I have narrowed it down to what I think is coming up from under the fuse box to connect to the red jump start terminal and then to the rest of the fuse link. Does anyone know exactly where the 12v input goes to the system?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not sure if this is connected to the DC to DC inverter, but the bolt under a cover in the fuse box, seen in this picture, next to the large white wire with the screwdriver pointing at it is connected to the 12v auxiliary battery in the back and is always energized, as long as the positive and negative ground connections are intact in the back:

1491960437567.png

3. Jackolebean

Jackolebean New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you're right. I have experimented with disconnecting the white cable and it is definitely the cable from the 12v battery to the box. It is the same color and thickness as the cable that comes off the 12v battery. Just looking for confirmation. I've lost daylight so I will get out the old volt meter and check it tomorrow.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, I mean the bolt seen to the right side of the white cable in my picture. My screwdriver is pointing to where the bolt is, which is under the opened cover in the picture.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are a few heavy-gauge white wires entering that box from various directions. I know I have looked up which is which in the 'power source' section of the wiring diagram. What I remember is that the details were sufficiently involved that I would definitely want to have the diagram in front of me again if I needed an answer to that question. (Some of the complexity involved the locations of the fuse links, and which branch circuits were originating on which sides of which ones.)

-Chap

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP, what are you going to do? If you just need a 12v always on power source to connect to in the fusebox, there's two open 1/4 inch terminals at the back of the fusebox, in my picture they're the ones with the red wires connected to them. I have my foglights and my HID ballasts connected to them.

7. Jackolebean

Jackolebean New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm doing some exploration to find out if it's possible to power things with a solar battery bank. The basic testing I need to do involves disconnecting the 12v input from the converter so I can see how the system reacts, minimum voltage, warning lights, etc. I have sufficiently researched this and am just stuck on the exact location of the 12v connection so I can sever it. I have all the necessary components priced online if I can do a basic test to see the minimum voltage the system will tolerate. Once I know that I can determine if I need to do a 24v setup to a step down converter or just use 12v. It involves an extra $270 in parts so I would like to avoid it.

Here is my project post.
    True solar build possible? | PriusChat

I don't need skepticism as I know this will work. The trick is to figure out how cheap I can make it once I finish my prototype in case I want to rig it for someone else or to someday sell it.

8. Jackolebean

Jackolebean New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have traced the white cable in the picture and it runs along side the HV cable that goes into the converter. I'm 90% sure it comes from the 12v bat and is used to draw from it and charge it. Hopefully checking the voltage and amps will tell me if the connection you suggested is actually the 12v from the converter. It would make sense as it puts out way more power and would therefore be more secure and better hidden. I looked and saw cables coming into the underside of the fuse box right below the positive red jumper terminal and I thought that might be where the 12v comes from the converter but I guess it makes sense that it would be downstream from the converter output so it doesn't feed back into the converter if you jump it.