1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where is the Best and Safest Place to Live?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Priapus, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I imagine the crime rates in Antarctica are pretty low. Likewise no tornadoes, hurricanes or earthquakes. No problems with mosquitoes carrying West Nile or Malaria. No fire ants. No killer bees.

Oh....did you mean in the U.S.?

Never mind.

2. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Aug 28 2006, 12:03 PM) [snapback]310658[/snapback]</div>
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

For me... Italy.

3. molgrips

molgrips Member

Did you see that TV programme, 'A New Life Down Under'? Pretty much backed up your post to the hilt :) I'm sure though that the producers picked the most desperate cases to show though...

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I like it "Revolving Topics" Now that ernestos a tropical storm and we should get a little wind and alot of rain.
    We welcome those storms. :D

Dont move to Fla. we have mosquitos, snakes, spiders, palmetto bugs (large cockroach) hot humid temps, fires and confused transplanted nothern retirees that forget how to vote and blame it on the machines ... :blink: :huh: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Great thoughts, everyone!
    Didn't mean to ruffle feathers or try to pit one place against another. I've always held to the thought that I'm WORKING in Chicago and then we'll go LIVE somewhere else. Neither my wife nor I like the traffic. I'm not a fan of the cold. We've grown accustomed to the convenience of stuff since you don't have to go far to find a huge mall, another suburb, or a theater of some sort. But we've always tried to live cheaply here so we could someday go somewhere with a lower cost of living.

And I didn't ask because I'm thinking of moving right now. Just eventually. I hadn't heard about people moving to address personal discontent. As I said above, I'm just thinking about places to go relax in for 20 - 40 years.

You're right that I kept it in the US. Not for any particular reason. Just to keep it simple, perhaps.

By the way, if anyone's interested, there's a neat website called findyourspot.com that I go to every once and a while. You answer a bunch of questions and then it tells you the 20 spots that match your criteria. I did it once for me then once as me and my wife together. Interestingly, five of our top ten were in the Northwest and I really like the sound of Corvalis. It just sounds so pedestrian/bicycle/Prius/Segway friendly.

6. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 29 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]311176[/snapback]</div>
    I did the Segway tour of Chicago in July- I loved it except the darned things didn't charge the night before so they kept dying on us- nonetheless they were fun!

7. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 29 2006, 01:19 PM) [snapback]311176[/snapback]</div>
    Tony- Thanks for the link to a great website!

8. v.jones

v.jones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 29 2006, 01:19 PM) [snapback]311176[/snapback]</div>
    Potentially interesting site, but be forewarned that registration IS REQUIRED. You can take the quiz, but only after you've invested the time in taking it do you discover that to get the results, you need to provide full contact info.

Personally, I've lived in a number of places around the US over the past 50+ years and found that every location where I've been, from KCMO to NYC, has had both good features and bad features. The key to fulfillment is to take advantage of the good features and minimize the impact of the bad. Before getting carried away with natural "disasters" consider the number of people killed and maimed every year on the US highways, a totally unnatural, but widely accepted disaster.

Vince

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried the survey, too, but gave up part way through when it became obvious it was US-centric. For those US residents who would not consider moving out of their country, that's fine. For those of us who are interested in the best and safest places in the world, the search parameters are a little narrowly defined. :unsure:

10. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I forget where, but there was a survey done recently and Melbourne AU was voted the most liveable city in the world, and a city in Canada was #2. I cannot remember whether it was Vancouver or Toranto.

I liked Melbourne a lot, but those Antarctic winds are harsh!

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this is the survey you are thinking of. It's close to a year old, so new results are probably due soon. And, it's just cities, so that secluded cabin by the lake isn't going to make the list.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/business/4306936.stm

12. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 28 2006, 03:03 PM) [snapback]310697[/snapback]</div>
    Anywhere in the midwest has the potential. Northern Minnesota is not supposed to get many tornadoes, but one took the roof off our barn. However, we rarely went into the basement, and on this storm we were watching out the big picture window, could only see the trees on the flashes of lightning. I thought they were bending the other way on a previous flash, then on a 3rd flash they were definitely bending a new direction, so we decided to head to the basement at that point. Luckily a big tree had already gone down in the backyard and was catching the sheetmetal and rafters from the barn, or that picture window would probably have been smashed while we were admiring the fury of the storm.

But no problems other than that, and the occasional power outage in winter (meaning no blower fan for the furnace) when it's below zero (one advantage - take the food out of the freezer and put in a snowbank - can't do that in the summer). Being very rural, any storm had the potential to knock out the electricity for a half-day or more. But we cut our own firewood for the furnace, knew all our neighbors, grew/raised a lot of our food. That has to count for something in the safety department as well. Depends on what you want to be safe from.

But, if you think Chicago is cold, then this definitely isn't for you. I live in the Chicago area now, and it's pretty mild for the most part. There's a couple days a year that really wake you up, but nothing like back home. I like to think of the cold as keeping the riff-raff out. Or at least kept it to the level of riff-raff that was home-grown. :p

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's true and I should have mentioned that. But with this one, like all the others, when it asks for registration, I type "Vince Jones." :D

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 29 2006, 11:30 PM) [snapback]311461[/snapback]</div>
    I used Tony Schaefer.

15. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    From CNN: generally somewhere Connecticut.

16. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 30 2006, 12:30 AM) [snapback]311461[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: I always use "Fred G. Sanford" (for those who dont know him, "Sanford & Son" tv show). :lol: :lol: ;)

17. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A