1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where is the evaporator temperature sensor?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ronlewis, Feb 15, 2024.

1. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Do you have multiple Gen2s? I think there's a good flipper market on those, the same dynamic with the pricey cats that can net you free parts, although cat prices have dropped 50% in the last two years.

I sold one of mine this week - Old Reliable. Bought in 2017 for $500 and have driven it about 30,000m. IIRC, I had to scavenge a battery for it, and recently swapped in some struts, but that's it. Never a problem, always started and ran. Never seen a cleaner car with 200k miles when I bought it, and it still looked great for 241k.

Really sad for me. I don't get sentimental about many cars. One of my LandCruisers hurt - I put 330k miles on that one going everywhere. And I liked the XK8 I traded in for it - first one sold in TX when they came out. But this little Prius...my dog was with me for everyone of those miles, his hair is still on the back dash and I left his last nose art on the windows for months. I don't know what to do with our camper. Just opening the door is a gut punch. It hasn't moved since our last trip.

2. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the tips. That is this morning's project. Most of the problems I post, I know I'll eventually figure them out, and nothing about this should be confusing, but the first time always takes twice, three times as long as every other time, so if I can use others' experience to save some needless effort it helps at my age.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm up to my ears right now in three generation ones I'm looking at an '01 If you remove that plastic shield with the 10 mm screw that goes over the wiring harness loom you'll be able to knock out the two 10 mm that hold the jug to the inverter into that little black tail piece of the inverter up towards the firewall and with the shield out you'll be able to get the lower one right next to the o-ring and lift away the jug reservoir with no problem I'm standing here right now just about doing just that while I'm got you here on this 01 there is no interlock on the inverter lid Is this correct this has the full the three big black cans underneath the inverter I see no interlock switch but I have the 3140 code for that so is that just the one in the back at the battery? Thanks

4. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It wasn't that bad, but you were leaving out the last bolt, the hard one. The O-ringed port is sealed with two bolts, not one. And that one on the back side is the crux of this biscuit.

Pulling off the swapper from my parts car, I just took the entire inverter. I was going to anyway soon and a lot of it was already done from stealing other parts. Getting the cracked one off my project car was easy. The back ear was already broken off, the front ear is easy to access, and that third bolt you cite wasn't hard. It's just that back one, but I just took my pry bar and broke off the rest of the reservoir, just leaving a little piece around that last bolt, which came right out.

Putting it back together was the only difficulty. That back bolt. With the wiper/cowl off, it would be easy, but I managed without that. All I did was remove those two front bolts on the inverter. I loosened the bolt bolt on the back inverter bracket, but didn't take it out. Still, that gave me enough wiggle to push it right and lift it up. I was able to get a good couple of inches of shop towel under the front left bracket to hold there.

Then, I took out the two bolts on that plastic frame that are easy to see on top, and used a ratchet strap to pull it out of the way to the left. The gap still wasn't enough for my fat fingers. I could touch the stud for that last nut, but I couldn't bend my fingers to maneuver the nut. So, I wrapped the nut in a long piece of duct table that I could use with my other hand to dangle the nut and spin it. Got it started, and then did the same thing with a short wrench. actually using the duct tape to pull the wrench.

Anyway, it's replaced, no leaks. AC works great. Body work done. All looks great. Two last tasks - replace the driver's seat belt and reset the Airbag warning lamp - and this car is finished. It's pretty, when you clean it. Dark blue and black don't look good dirty.

5. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I saw 2001 #254, IIRC, wrecked recently.

6. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hmm, not sure what you're calling the three black cans. probably not because that's not a good description, I just have bad memory. But the only interlock switch is on the back of the HV battery. You would pull it and disconnect the 12v battery before messing with the inverter. But I've not done a lot under the inverter. That's as far as I've gotten going that way.

7. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Do you need service manual info? I can PDF the 3140 diagnostics.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes I couldn't see the bolt on the bottom in the two gen ones that I was at today and the generation twos just have the bolts on the side there's not one on the bottom but it's still the three bolts make it lift up pretty good so I guess with the duct tape and all you were able to get it wow.

9. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Adapt and overcome, lol. But, again, just taking the cowl off makes that all pretty easy. Makes the back bolt on the inverter easy, then you can lift it high enough to get. Was the duct tape easier overall than removing the cowl? I think so, but maybe not for a newbie DIYer. Of course, some one else might have had a better wrench combo. I couldn't find my swivel ratchet wrench. All my tools are spread out on different cars, real PITA. I'm not an organized type.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The three black cans sound like the three big capacitors under the inverter's biggest lid.

The two inverter lid interlocks, and one of the internal connectors in that circuit, can be seen at 54:30 in this video. The other internal connector can be seen at 58:30.

ronlewis likes this.