1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where is the sensor for the hatchback door?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Freedom, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't seem to get the "open door" light off.

I have driver's and front passenger windows open all the way. I close the hatch. The light is still on.

I used my leaf blower and cleared all around the door, the hinges, etc. Close the hatch. The light is still on.

I'm quite sure it is the back hatch door. I only had that and the driver's door open.

I have put the car away in the garage for the moment. Been an hour and that darn light is STILL on! Is it going to run down a battery?

WHERE is the sensor for that door?

I have peat moss and compost in the back, was planting. Had to keep going with that, hence the car went out of the way into the garage.

But I can't just leave it with that light on. Now what? Ideas? Thank you!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm pretty sure it is in the latch assembly.

3. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That would have to be on the bottom. The top is just the metal ring. Hmm. Maybe I can use a screwdriver to clear out peat moss and whatever else I've managed to get in there. I'll go try now. Thanks.

4. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That worked! Thank you!

First I removed the short plastic bit. Then I tried using a screwdriver; of course the 1st one I tried was too large. Had to also get the vacuum out. Slowly but surely, got a TON of compost and peat out of that small slot. OK maybe not a ton, but more than I expected.

Best thing is: now the light is OFF.

THANK YOU!!!

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah... Us gardening oriented folks have this particular problem with their Prius. Best way to fix it is to unplug and unbolt the lock mechanism and give it a thorough cleaning and then add grease or oil and exercise all the mechanical parts until they start working without resistance then re-install. But after many years all this debris is going to wear out this mechanism no matter how often you clean it, so getting a new latch at the junk yard is eventually gonna need to happen.

7. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There is an inexpensive $24 heavy gauge rubber cargo mat made by Michelin that fits the back of the Prius perfectly and keeps debris out of the periphery. More expensive ones also exist but the Michelin mat I have works well. Available at Costco and other places.

8. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I had this exact same problem moving dirt for a project. It was 15 min with the shop vac to get it all out finally. And I used a tarp first.
    But I moved a bunch of dirt in my Prius. Mark that off this list.