1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where is your gun holster?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by windstrings, Nov 25, 2012.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know the prius crowd tends to be of a gentler nature.. but I have 3 prius's and live in texas.. while I"m gentle unless cornered, everyone else isn't.

Don't tell me its silly to have a gun in the car... thats for another thread... too many crack heads and wackos out there trying cute little stunts at redlights and parking lots... so don't go there..........As times get tougher and tougher, people will get more desperate and crazy..... it you can't see that, its because your sheltered... Thank God for it.... but it may not always be.

I"m looking for a solution to prevent jamming my gun between the seat and the console. I carry a .45 Kimber Grand Raptor 5".... A little big for carry in many places.. especially if its hot and long shirts or coats are not in order.

This is not a solution to make it child proof so its hard or impossible to access in a moment.
    In order to access it quickly, .. it has to be quick so at the last minute its there.
    And obviously out of reach from others in the car who may want to play hero... they can carry their own gun.

Here is a holster designed to go under the steering wheel that looks promising, however the space on a prius is pretty tight.

There is also space underneath where the steering column sticks out but its questionable if the handle of the gun would stick out too far and actually hit the bottom of the steering wheel.

Then there where the console connects to the dashboard down below... looks like the best place IMO, but until I order one and try it I won't know.

I've seem many pictures online and they are never of a prius. The prius has a very shallow console so sticking it in there is not practical for a large pistol. The door is not a good option either and besides it could fall out when opening and would be too visible.

I'm looking for options and suggestions from you guys....
    The prius crowd is smart and very creative... I"m sure someone has the ticket....

Anyone find a good solution?

ewxlt66 likes this.
  2. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Get a concealed carry vest and put it on when you are in the car. Take it off when you get out. No exposure and you have the choice to keep it on when you get out if need be. You do have a CHL? If not put it in the passenger side seatback pocket.

Or a fannypack can be used the same as vest.

3. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    oops, double post

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmm.
    Interesting carry weapon.
    You're going to have to find what works best for you as far as a holster is concerned.
    The only things I don't like about the steering column holster is that there's not much real estate down there to draw a large frame automatic, and unless you detach it at every stop you're going to be saying "firearms owner" to anyone who happens to peek inside while your vehicle is parked.
    It's even worse than an NRA sticker.
    No.
    Limo tint isn't the answer either, cause that means that you're either not that bright or you're a scofflaw...or both. This always translates into something inside the car that's interesting to steal (weed, head unit, i-thingy, etc...)
    I have a Combat Commander that I use as a carry weapon (reluctantly) when I know I have to go into a place that frowns on weapons carry. I do this so I can pop the slide and mag out and just carry the receiver inside.

So.
    If I had to lug that purty thing around in a car with me I'm thinking either a shoulder rig or what I used to do in the sandbox---which is use a quick action drop leg holster worn loose enough to rotate the weapon atop my thigh while driving. This worked VERY well....for me.
    However (comma!) the white gear we rolled around in had much more interior room than a Prius.
    YMMV.

MY Prius is a company vehicle, and we KNOW that my beloved company doesn't like me to roll armed.....(wink, wink!) and I would never, ever, EVER do so.

But....if I did, I would use a clip holster and just let it cruise around beneath the shifter, or leave it butt-out in a small netbook satchel in the co-pilot seat.

Good Luck!

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do have a chl. The idea of a vest sounds intriguing, but im the kinda guy that burns up wearing anything unless it's really cold out.... But that is worth considering.
    I'm thinking this will pretty much stay in the car as it's a bit of a hassle to concealed well.
    A smaller 3.5" may be better to carry on my ankle.
    I'll have to investigate how a thigh wrap around works... Never heard of those.

But if I mount it down close to the floorboard on the side of the console I could keep a rag of such to lay over to cover it when I get out.

SCH-I535 ? 2

6. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Car theft is one of the most common crimes in Maryland-DC-Virginia; side-arms are highly prized theft items. :whistle: Thieves are pretty bold around here and will even break into a police cruiser, too. :( In recent memory, a local swat team officer lost his automatic AR, several clips, several rounds of ammo, his bullet resistent vest, and his badge in a recent breakin and theft of his police cruiser. :eek: Having anything of known value visible in a car, e.g. a side arm, would be an invitation for a smash-n-grab car theft. :cautious:

douglasjre likes this.
  7. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Smarter maybe. More that Prius owners tend to be higher education level per the stats, we were just looking at the Prius owner stats in the other guns, guts and Prius thread.

8. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I feel like California doesn't let us have those.

9. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When deadly force is necessary, it is required immediately. Which is why if you decide to carry, you carry on your body all the time. If you have time to acquire a weapon from an unatural and unused location in your vehicle, without the benefit of extensive training drawing from that location, you have time to hit the gas and get away. Situational awareness is the most important defense. Dont go where you think you will require deadly force. But if you must, you dont need a holster, be prepared and put the gun in your lap.

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is a Deleimma if you can't take it with you unless you can tuck it away in a secure place while gone.. Or at least cover it up so it doesn't look suspicious.

SCH-I535 ? 2

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    True, and for valid reasons..

SCH-I535 ? 2

12. David Barton

David Barton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I put my Kimber Ultra TLE II in my center console. It fits perfectly in there and is fairly easy to get to. Mind you my guns is a compact and yours is a FS.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's what I'm thinking of getting! Do you have it in a holster mounted in there or just laying in there? Did you remove the cup holders and put it in the back part?
    If so, seems it would be tedious to get to.

If cup holders are removed and mounted on the other hand... Could be perfect if it fits!

SCH-I535 ? 2

14. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Barring covering your vehicle in something very unpleasant to smell or touch - the art of concealment (aka camoflague) is probably the most practical deterrent.;):whistle::coffee:

By the way, with respect to the local swat police officer who lost his automatic AR - the AR and his equipment were in the trunk and out of sight, but apparently the perpetrator knew this. :sneaky: :eek: So even if your stuff is not in plain sight -- if the criminal just even thinks there might be something valuable and your vehicle is unattended and not monitored - then your vehicle is at risk if those neferious entities are nearby. :cautious:

When someone broke into my 1990 honda accord, it was smashed up pretty good - the perpetrators didn't get much though - just pocket change in the toll/change drawer on the left side of the steering wheel ( I had less than $3 in change in the car incase I needed to take the bus or pay for parking but beyond that there wasn't anything valuable in the car at the time:whistle::rolleyes: ); however, repairing the damage from the break in cost me $250 in auto insurance deductible at the time. :cry: I was soo really PO'ed :mad: - the car thief in my case was not just greedy and petty - he/she was frickin stupid.
    Stuff like that makes me think about becoming a hermit.

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Electric fences are legal, why not a few thousand low amperage volts to the shell of the car.. All you need is a good ground and Park according!.... Opps sorry, that's for another thread. :eek:

SCH-I535 ? 2

WE0H likes this.
  16. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Which presents a dilemma for the 14% of Prius owners freaked out over being ID'd as greenies for driving a Prius. If they put the NRA sticker on the car, thief has a heads up good likelihood of valuable gun in the car vs. regular Prius which the thieves typically don't bother with.

But eliminating the NRA stick, eliminates the value of the NRA stick which is letting the driver's audience know he's a gun tot'in root'in toot'in lumberjack kind of guy...not no steeek'in greenie.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I think I'm gonna order the holster in the link I posted on my first post... I'll let you guys know if it's a hit and if so take pictures.

SCH-I535 ? 2

WE0H likes this.
  18. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Being ID'd as a green car is a good foundation for an illusion that there isn't a valuable firearm inside.

However, for an illusion to work its magic - any outside suggestable and observable details must be a consistent with that illusion.

To reinforce that illusion - a magician might also add the gentle of art of concealment and misdirection is needed.

For example, in addition to hiding your firearm out of sight, the vehicle can have bumper stickers in the rear of your vehicle identifying the vehicle as a "Greenie" -- advocating "Gun Control" and "World Wildlife Foundation." If forced for an explanation the driver can disvow the "Greenie" stickers by saying the vehicle was bought used and the stickers were put on by the previous owner. :D:p

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Too funny! :D.
    You mean "WARNING, driver only carries $20.00 in ammunition" doesn't cut it?

SCH-I535 ? 2

20. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    $20 wont get you much ammo. I probably wouldnt advertise that. Maybe $50!