1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where oh where is the DIMMER WIRE

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kamick81, Dec 7, 2009.

1. kamick81

kamick81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So I'm trying to wrap up my install of my new nav unit and still have this dang orange illum. wire. I'm guessing it allows me to adjust the brightness of my new display so I'm going to want to use it but I have googled till my hearts content and can't find which wire to tap into to find it on my V with JBL.?.?.? Anyone??

Thanks,

Kevin

2. ALL_600D

ALL_600D New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you should be able to adjust your display on your new double din via settings. The orange illumination wire is used when you turn on your parking lights/headlights. It dims the stereo for night time optimization. Is that what your referring to?

3. kamick81

kamick81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes that is definitely what I'm referring too. From what I can tell the avic doesn't give me the ability to adjust brightness without this wire attached.....at least if it does I can not find it anywhere in the settings menu. I just need to know where that damn wire needs to be soldered and can't find it anywhere....

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In that case, look in Fog Light Retrofit document as I point out what wire in the ECU triggers the parking lights. You can tap into that wire.

5. kamick81

kamick81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No idea where it is being the radio though????? I really don't want to have to snake one wire for something as silly as a dimmer.....

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That ECU is just behind the dash to the left of the steering wheel... easy to get to and close to the HU. It is a brown wire (#18 of a 36 pin connector). There is a picture in the document of that connector.

7. kamick81

kamick81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    T or F - The illumination wire just needs to go to a 12v source that only gets 12v when the headlights are on.

8. ALL_600D

ALL_600D New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "F" the illumination is in response to when the parking lights are on, not necessarily headlights. I'm curious to see how you wired your avic harness to the main toyota metra harness. Can you identify which wire your avic illumination wire is hooked up to on the Metra wiring kit?

9. kamick81

kamick81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So it's kinda false. The setup I mentioned would work essentially, because the headlights and the parking lights come on together.

10. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV