1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to buy a JBL head unit?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by timdafweak, Sep 20, 2016.

1. timdafweak

timdafweak Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just out of curiosity, for those of us with the lower trim with the stock Head Unit, it SHOULD be possible to replace it with a JBL head unit from the higher trims, right? If so, where would one look even... I tried eBay, but it seems my search queries are wrong, or there is no-one selling JBL Prius Head Units yet.

Does anyone know?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

The JBL systems in the higher trims are generally different in that there is a separate JBL amp mounted elsewhere in the car (not sure exactly where in the Gen 4, it's under the passenger seat in a US Gen 3). You would need to add the amp as well as the JBL headunit, and you would need to make sure the wire harness from the headunit to amp exists, or supply that too. I think the JBL amps have outputs for more speakers than the non-JBL headunits have, though you could maybe leave them unconnected if you weren't adding the missing speakers too.

-Chap