1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to buy the oil access cover rivet/fastener?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by HybridMario, Oct 15, 2012.

1. HybridMario

HybridMario New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I decided to change my own oil for the first time and, prior to doing it, I wanted to check out the oil pan/oil filter. Unfortunately, I had a tough time trying to pull out the oil access cover (panel? door?) protecting the pan/filter, and ended up snapping one of the rivets/fasteners holding the access door in place.

Fortunately, it's still plugs in fine and it's holding in place, but I feel better replacing it. So, per my title, does anyone know where I can buy it? Honestly, I hardly even know what size it is (5mm? 6mm?).

Thanks in advance

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The dealer would be ur best bet

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. If you could take some pictures to show the guy at the part's counter and describe where it's at, he should be able to bring up a diagram and tell you the part # and cost.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a oil filter cover on a 2006? My 07 does not have any cover.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OP is probably referring to a 3G Prius.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe but he's in II forum and also lists a 06. I bet he thinks he has to take the front splashplate off to get around the filter.

7. HybridMario

HybridMario New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, thanks guys. I'll just pull the thing out and bring it in to show the clerk. I need to go there to pick up the filter/drain plug gasket anyway.

It doesn't? Well, that explains a few things. I watched a video for DIY Prius oil change and the video didn't have this oil access cover either making me think the guy skipped it. I thought it came standard with all Priuses.

Honestly, trying to remove the thing is a pain. I've thought about just taking it off and throwing it away to make future oil changes easier, but decided against it because some people states it's beneficial in keeping road debris and winter salt away.

I have a 2006 2G Prius. As my post suggest, I have no idea what its technical name is, but other members refer to it as the 'oil access door/cover'. To be clear, it's the plastic cover underneath the car (to the right of the driver side rear wheel) that blocks access to the oil pan and filter which one has to remove to drain the oil.

If I am doing something wrong, though, please correct me. As I said, this is my first oil change and much of the information I'm getting comes from various online manuals/tutorial videos.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You got me. Right of drivers rear wheel? Have no clue what your talking about. Your on the wrong end of the car. Engines up front.

My 07 and all Gen II's afaik only have the one cover under neath the engine.. It stops right at the oil filter. You can clearly see and grab the oil filter. Now there's no room to get a wrench around the filter so go to auto store with a new filter in your hand as they sell an oil filter socket that fits over the end of the filter and has a 3/8 socket hole to hook your srwnch to it. I say bring your filter (I prefer OEM) so you can get exact size filter socket. they amke alof of diff sizes. And oil pan is in the clear.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about posting a couple of photos, one which is zoomed back to provide perspective of the location relative to the underside of the car, and another zoomed in to the door that you are concerned about.

dorunron likes this.
  10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Patrick Wong is spot on as always. It sounds like the OP is doing something wrong. I too would like to see some pics of what he is describing. Our '09 is like all the Gen II's out there. Easy access to the oil drain and filter. And yeah, the oil filter wrench that fits on the ratchet is highly advisable. Otherwise you end up having to use over size channel locks and mush the filter in the process of removing it.

11. HybridMario

HybridMario New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, guys, I'm an idiot. The location of the oil area is front passenger. Basically, I misunderstood one of the guides I looked up and went searching about in the wrong area. Yes, very stupid mistake -- I'm still kicking myself over it.

Anyway, I know I didn't say before, but I do plan to utilize an oil filter wrench. To summarize my plan of action: I'm going to drive the Prius for about ten minutes then let it cool for thirty, drain the oil pan for one hour, remove the filter using a wrench and let that drain for one hour, install the new filter (making sure to lubricate the top prior to installing) and drain plug gasket, pour in 3.5 quarts of oil, then drive the Prius for another ten minutes to let it circulate before testing the measuring stick to know it's good.

I'll also be environmentally friendly about things. I plan to pour the used oil into a cleaned/dried carton and take it (along with the used filter) to an auto store to recycle.

12. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Where did you get that idea?

Drive it for ten minutes, drain the oil until it stops coming out, reinstall drain plug (if washer is not aluminum, replace it with one that is), remove the old filter, install an OEM filter, (they come lubed) refill with 3.5 quarts of 5W-30 (or 0W-30) full synthetic motor oil, reinstall oil cap, close hood, recycle used oil. Do not bother checking level right after, however, check it once in a while.

13. HybridMario

HybridMario New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which do you mean? Do you mean the part about driving the Prius afterwards to circulate the oil (I notice that's missing from your summary)? I got it from a Youtube video which said to drive it afterwards in order circulate. Was that a myth?

Either way, thanks for the summary. I found it very helpful!

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why bother driving it first and then letting it cool? Hasn't it been driven before? Waste of time & gas. Longer it sits before drain the better off you are. And then not necessary to let filter or pan drain for an hour because after 2 minutes here both pretty drained. You could let it drain for 2 days and never get all the trapped oil out.

If this is your fist change prepare for big mess on the ground. Get a big cardboard box and open it flat and lay it under the engine to catch any dripping oil. I know what I'm doing and still do that.
    And buy Nitrile gloves at Auto store too.

I take the oil filter off first before pan bolt. The filter is above the pan and will only dump whats in the filter. Its easier to maneuver an empty oil catch basin to catch the oil filter drip than the other way around. This only matters if doing it on the ground.
    And then like Avi says put in exactly 3.5 quarts. Don't bother driving it around after the oil change to circulate the oil to check it. That's just a waste of gas & time. Check it in a day or so.
    3.5 will put it right at the dot.
    And make sure your bottle that you will use to recycle oil has a cap that you can tighten for transport. And they do not want your old filter.

And lastly I would buy a new oil pan dump bolt and washer. $7 at dealer. The bolt is sacrificial and wears out after a bunch of changes. Its designed softer then the pan threads so if you strip it you won't hopefully ruin the pan.

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, you should make the Prius READY after you've changed the oil and oil filter, and let the engine run for a few minutes. The point of doing that is to look around under the car while the engine is running, to make sure that you don't have an oil leak at the oil filter and the oil drain plug. You don't actually need to drive the car unless you want to go somewhere.

I like to fill the new oil filter around 50% with fresh engine oil before installing it. The point of doing that is to help the engine pressurize the oil system immediately upon startup. If you install an empty filter, it will take a few seconds for the engine to fill the oil filter and start circulating oil. The engine is running without lubrication for that short period and you will hear funny noises.

I recommend that you use a plastic funnel as you are adding fresh oil to the oil filler area by the valve cover. Otherwise there is a good chance that you will dump oil on the valve cover, etc. which is really not helpful.

16. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, well, at least start it. The idea being there is still a tiny bit of oil around to lubricate until the new oil fills the system. Filling the oil filter is not a bad idea, nor the end of the world if you don't, at least for Prii. Definitely use a funnel to fill the oil. Getting a new drain plug isn't bad either, just remember your new one will last a while so don't change it next time.

17. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also, if you watched a video on a GenIII the filter is different. Gen II Prii have a spin on filter not a cartridge type like Gen III.

18. HybridMario

HybridMario New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it's my understanding to drive it around first then let it cool for thirty minutes so that it'll be 'warm' (rather than cold/hot), and will drain more efficiently. This bit came from various other DIYers and, more notable, CarTalk. They state that if you let it drain cold, it'll be less efficient and more will be left behind than if you do it warm.

Oh no, the ones in my area do. I checked Earth911 and I plan to give them a call to confirm before performing the oil change to make sure they do accept both used motor oil and the oil filters.

Huh, I hadn't seen this before. Thanks!

Thanks for this. I will remember to pour in a tiny bit of oil prior to installing it.

No worry there. Prior to this, I've been getting it done by the dealership and I saved the receipts, which list the parts they used, so I'll be able to get the exact OEM parts that's currently being used.

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Suppose you decide to work on your car on a Saturday morning. The car was last driven Friday evening when you drove from your office to your home, and the car has just been parked since then.

All of the oil that is going to drain down from the various engine parts has dropped down to the crankcase area, over the 12+ hour period from Friday evening to Saturday morning.

Now if you can raise up the car and remove the engine oil drain plug without needing to start the engine, all of that oil will drain into your drain pan.

The only possible issue is that the oil film clinging to the drain pan surfaces may take a bit longer to drip down than if the engine was at operating temperature. However this is really minor.

If you want to get every last ounce of old oil out of the car, then you should lower the right side (passenger side) of the car after you've opened the drain plug, keeping the left side (driver's side) elevated. That will encourage more oil to drain into the drain pan.

20. HybridMario

HybridMario New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see. Alright, I'll try to do this.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I only created this topic to find out how to get fasteners, but it turned into a really informative topic!